Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
Well, I finished pimping my KK Spunding valve, or rather, my KK brass T and connecting bits. Giving it a run on a pressurised lager ferment. Let's see how it goes, eh? I'll be rather indisposed, so I'm throwing trust in a blank direction.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1494253310.638796.jpg
What T-Piece did you use Mardoo ( Link )
I went down to my local & they only have bsp so my adjustable pressure valve screws in half a turn then locks up.
He measured the thing & reckons I need a tap to tap out the T-Piece, NPTF, 3/8", 18 TPI. I'm not wanting to go down that path.
How about the gauge, is it bsp or npt?

I finally got my spunding valve operational & the pressure tests tonight are excellent. I've been fermenting in an A type keg using a Sanke fermenting kit but taking hydro samples are really difficult so I've been avoiding them altogether. With the spunding valve, hydro samples will be a breeze, keg transfers easy & I can naturally carbonate as well. I had no luck finding a fitting that would connect the gas post thread to the thread on the bush that screws into the t-piece. A mate ended up re-tapping the thread for me with a 7/16th USF or USN thread from memory. The unit holds pressure as set & settles to adjustment psi precisely. Looking forward to see how it goes but from all reports, less esters, less phenol's & more aroma absorbed into the beer under a pressure ferment.

20170514_195655 (Medium).jpg

That's awesome, oh great Crusty One. I was terribly stoked tonight to find out my ferment-in-absentia is doing what I want. I pitched it the night before my surgery, and four days in it's holding right below 10PSI, right where I wanted it. Totally chuffed! You'll notice that the pressure scale on the blowoff valve is off, so not ideal, but I set the blowoff using my Harris reg anyway. I guessed this would be the case since the pressure rating on the valve is 100PSI and I'm usually only using it in the first 10% of its range.

View attachment 97225

My Mum was coming over so I got her to bring them. Once she goes back she can send me more if you want to get some. Happy to do that.

Is your Mum interested in organising a bulk buy ?
Wish her a happy Mothers Day from me regardless.

grott said:
Good one Crusty. Is postage cheaper than those ridiculous prices stated such as on eBay?
It depends really. I got my gauge & pressure relief valve on Amazon & they offered free postage so it arrived at my US address free of charge.
Australia post then forwarded it to me for $22.32. It at least allows you to purchase gear from suppliers that just won't ship to Australia.
When you get allocated your US shipping address, don't forget to add a new address under the my addresses tab & put your home address in there.
It's really straight forward & your kept up to date with exactly where your package is. It's a really good service & it comes in very handy.

Sorry to be a pest Crusty but is it that you won't know the cost to Aust. until it arrives at the American address?

Crusty said:
I finally got my spunding valve operational & the pressure tests tonight are excellent. I've been fermenting in an A type keg using a Sanke fermenting kit but taking hydro samples are really difficult so I've been avoiding them altogether. With the spunding valve, hydro samples will be a breeze, keg transfers easy & I can naturally carbonate as well. I had no luck finding a fitting that would connect the gas post thread to the thread on the bush that screws into the t-piece. A mate ended up re-tapping the thread for me with a 7/16th USF or USN thread from memory. The unit holds pressure as set & settles to adjustment psi precisely. Looking forward to see how it goes but from all reports, less esters, less phenol's & more aroma absorbed into the beer under a pressure ferment.

attachicon.gif
20170514_195655 (Medium).jpg
Looks good Crusty so I've got myself an address in the States through shop mate cheers

Carted a valve , gauge , tee piece all 1/4 npt just need 1/4" npt male to the thread size of gas disconnect female ????

7/16 usf or usn ???

rude said:
Looks good Crusty so I've got myself an address in the States through shop mate cheers

Carted a valve , gauge , tee piece all 1/4 npt just need 1/4" npt male to the thread size of gas disconnect female ????

7/16 usf or usn ???
I couldn't find that fitting that screwed onto the ball lock thread. My town sucks for getting anything.
I'm pretty sure that it was USN. I'll see if I can find out.

abyss said:
Is your Mum interested in organising a bulk buy ?
Wish her a happy Mothers Day from me regardless.
I'm happy to organise a buy, if people want to give these PRV's a bash. I got one gauge from Amazon (US made) and one from a U.K. site (Italian made), so will post opinions once I get the second valve set up. The Italian one is damn solidly built! Shipping from the States isn't cheap, no matter how you do it. Well, containers can be good, but that's a whole lotta spunding!

You need lagering,
Baby I'm not palavering,
Im gonna send you,
Back to cooling.
Way, way down inside
There's a PRV
Gonna give me your spund,
Gonna have me a spund,
Want a whole lotta spund.
Got a whole lotta spund.

I think I can be confident the painkillers have kicked in now…time for some Zeppelin.

Mardoo said:
I think I can be confident the painkillers have kicked in now…time for some Zeppelin.
Yep, Sounds like they have. It's always a good time for Zeppelin with optional painkillers.

It certainly was how the music was made ;)

And man, isn't II just s sublime album.
Led Zepp 2 was my first album I bought & fav

I couldn't find that fitting that screwed onto the ball lock thread. My town sucks for getting anything.
I'm pretty sure that it was USN. I'll see if I can find out.
When looking up the gas disconnects they say 1/4" MLF ???

So M for male LF not sure on Fine ???? anyone

Think I'll try 1/4" NPT male to 1/4" female inverted flare fitting

Back