Spring Is Coming Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hi All,

On the news I saw that the east coast of aus is going to stay warm for the next few months that will lead us into spring.
I was thinking about getting a head start on planting my rhizome.

is this a good idea or not???

Thanks

Yep, get them in...even if they stay dormant for a few more weeks...

If you are in an area that may get a frost any new shoots that appear will need protection.

No more frost around here, still wet in the morning but no frost.

Well in that case I will get them in!

Rupert from Hopswest advised that it's fine, if not beneficial, to get them in the ground while it's still winter/raining intermittently to promote new root formation.

I've always done this and never had any problems.

Perfect timing really, Ive got all my cubes full, feck all empty bottle, my kegs arent ready, planning a weekend of re-doing the hop trellis so will probably just HAVE to dig a hole as well ;)

:icon_chickcheers:

On the news I saw that the east coast of aus is going to stay warm for the next few months that will lead us into spring.
I was thinking about getting a head start on planting my rhizome.

is this a good idea or not???
It depends on your location and expected weather conditions.

If you have a mild winter and spring with not that much rain, no flooding and few/no frosts, and well drained soil, its likely a good idea.

However, frosts will kill any tender new shoots, and while that is not an issue on older/established plants it can be severe/critical to newly planted rhizomes.
Also depending on the rain/flood/soil conditions the newly planted rhizomes can get waterlogged and rot before they have a chance to establish and grow.

Latest posts

Back