Sponges- How Often Do You Replace Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
The othe day I was listening to one of the 'casts on the brewing network and they mentioned that they use a new sponge for every brew they make. this makes a lot of sense, since it is plausible that a lot of bacteria etc is trapped in the sponge while you are cleaning the fermenter- you don't want that in the next brew! It made me realise that I wasn't really replacing my sponges frequently enough (I bought some more today for this weekend!)

So- how often do you replace your sponges? Where do you buy them- in bulk at a store I'm not aware of, cheap as chips, or the supermarket?

Cheers,
dave

Interesting, should have made it a poll of some sort?

I don't use sponges, I use a stainless steel scrubby only for cleaning, paper towels (Aldi) I use for drying, mopping up spills etc (unless they are huge).

You use the SS thing for cleaning the fermenters? Be careful, you can scratch up the fermenter, which has the potential to land you in a heap of problems :)

I didn't see poll options, and I prefer discussion to looking at graphs anyway :)

i never use a sponge or anything to clean fermenters

water pressure straight from the tap is enough to remove any mess inside

Soft sponge and warm napisan solution to clean, iodophor to sanitise.

I use my fingers and sludge from the bottom of the fermenter
The abrasive action of trub works a treat

I usually repitch 3-5 times and by then the sticky crap is super sticky....:eek:

The othe day I was listening to one of the 'casts on the brewing network and they mentioned that they use a new sponge for every brew they make. this makes a lot of sense, since it is plausible that a lot of bacteria etc is trapped in the sponge while you are cleaning the fermenter- you don't want that in the next brew! It made me realise that I wasn't really replacing my sponges frequently enough (I bought some more today for this weekend!)

So- how often do you replace your sponges? Where do you buy them- in bulk at a store I'm not aware of, cheap as chips, or the supermarket?

Cheers,
dave

I just use the same one over and over until it's hammered. I reckon replacing a sponge every brew is a bit OCD, especially if you use a no-rinse after cleaning.

No sponges for me. Just water pressure and fingers if necessary.
Then hot water and sanitiser, shake the F*%& out of it and rince out with cold water a couple of times.
And that is if it is not going to be usedd for a while.
Quite often the fermenter gets filled a couple of hours after it is emptied, in which case just a good hose out does the trick.

I put about 15 to 20 mls of 10% bleach and fill fermenter with water. 24 hours later everything just falls off side walls, sometimes I hit with a dish type brush.
Then I invert them on the rinsing thingy I made and turn the water on. There is a timer on it in case I get busy doing other things and forget about it so it shuts off automaticly. Too easy.

wash2.JPG

wash1.JPG

A spoonful of pure percarbonate, water and time. I'm a lazy *******. But at least I know there's no sponge-carried infection in my brews.

The only thing I really need to wipe down is the fermenter after use.

I use soft cloths (rags made from soft materials eg old bed sheets etc) after each use I rinse out and then throw them into the laundry hamper to be washed.

After cleaning all the visible gunk I've taken to giving my fermenter a clean out with bleach after use and then another shot before a fresh batch and I've never had a issue.

I've got a laundry sink big enough to fit the fermenter on its side which is great for rolling the fermenter.

I can't imagine there being much to actually use a sponge on. I look at ways of minimising the number of things that come into contact with the wort - eg no lid or airlock - use glad wrap instead. And got into the habit of rinsing everything straight after use while any crap is easy to get off.

Nothing on brew day needs to be sanitary except your raking hose and cube. Then the fermenter + tap. Then any bottling / kegging gear - which is pretty easy to clean.

Cheers

Use industrial chux off the big roll, use percarbonate and chux to clean. Wash the chux in hot water then sanitiser and hang to dry.

Bunnings have chux in bulk rolls.

Never replace a sponge... B)

Sponge

I've got a special purpose toilet brush that I use for cleaning my fermenters, it gets sanitised before and after use and is stored with all my other brew gear. It never goes near a toilet!

That's a great accident waiting to happen! Honey I borrowed your special brush.

Bog standard bitter anyone :eek:

Back