Split Yeast Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Lo Guys,
This might sound a bit lousy but I don't feel like going to the shop today.
I have done 3 brews so far on the same us-05 yeast cake.All came out ok.
If I take half of this yeast cake/slurry,will it be enough to pitch into 20 litres of wort?
Should be ok I think.

As far as I remember, 1/2 cup mixed slurry (yeast cake and small amount of leftover beer) is good for 5 gallons (~20L) of standard (1.050) wort.

1 cup for double batches or 1.060+ of 20L wort

Thats roughly what I use when re-using yeast and hasn't failed me yet.

Sponge

EIT: Or the Mr Malty calculator as liam has pointed out above. Took me a while to finish the post and missed the reply...

Thanks Guys,
Looks ok then,should be more than enough in there.
wombil.

are you asking about the quantity of yeast of the quality of yeast? ie if its mutated after 3 generations?

if its the former, youv'e got your answer already, if its the latter, then i'd still use it. ive used us05 5 times. after that it gets a bit funky.

are you asking about the quantity of yeast of the quality of yeast? ie if its mutated after 3 generations?

if its the former, youv'e got your answer already, if its the latter, then i'd still use it. ive used us05 5 times. after that it gets a bit funky.

I had a brain explosion and used about 2 cups of US05 slurry the other day into a 20L batch in a jerry can (i use less than this into a 40L batch usually) It took off like a rocket. After a day the elastic band and cling wrap cover were just hanging onto the jerry can. The cling wrap had pulled through the elastic band and formed a bubble about the size of my first and there was foam seeping through and down into the fridge.

Latest posts

Back