Split Mash - Assistance Required

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of brewing an IPA.

I got greedy and ordered a larger grain bill to bump up the ABV a bit.

I have a single vessel RIMS system (similar to a Braumeister but a backyard job). The maximum grain bill it can handle is 6kg of grist.

This recipe has 7.5kg so I split the mash and am doing 2kg on stove top.

My main mash is set at 66 and holding fine as usual. I got side tracked and didn't keep an eye on the stove top. It got to 75 degrees before I took it off the heat. I'm cooling it now to 66.

Is this going to have any major effects on the overall brew? I should be able to get it back to 66 and hold it. It was at 75 for about 10 mins before it has been slowly cooling to 66.

Anyone?

I dont think you have done any real damage but I would expect that your OG will be down as you probably wont get as much sugar from the grains after being
at 75c. Flavour wise shoulnt be a prob and you may need to add a little extra sugar or dex to realign your alc content.
I wouldnt worry too much about it.

maybe you could pull out some of the main mash to put some of the enzymes you would have denatured at the higher temps in the small mash otherwise youre fg could be a little bit higher than desired.

Back