Split Dried Yeast Packet For Two Brews?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlegger

Reaction score
Hey guys, doing 2 brews today, both using the same yeast (US-05)

but i only have one packet of yeast! didnt plan that very well lol

Anyway, can someone let me know if i can split the one pack between two brews?

If so, how? (if its more complex than simply dividing the pack in half)

Cheers

There is a "Right" amount of yeast; generally the commercially made packets are on the lighter end of the recommended range.

Might be better to No-Chill one and get another yeast through the week than to under pitch both brews.

MHB

Anyway, can someone let me know if i can split the one pack between two brews?

If so, how? (if its more complex than simply dividing the pack in half)
The amount of yeast you pitch depends mostly on the volume and gravity of your wort (which you have not specified).
However, as a general rule, even 1 packet is often underpitching so if you divided that in half you'd be underpitching even more - which is probably not a good idea.
Given that you are brewing today - I'd suggest you buy another pack (if a LHBS is open) - and pitch one into each batch, if you can't do that no-chill is a good option until you can buy another pack of yeast, but if you can't do that ... well ... just go ahead and split the pack, is not really much else you can do (or put off brewing one batch).

If you only had 1 yeast pack and a few days before your brew-day you could have created a starter to build up the amount of yeast (but it's usually cheaper and easier just to buy another pack of dry yeast), but since you're brewing today you can't do that.

Back