Split Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi there,

I brewed an IPA today, a Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and the final volume was slightly less than anticipated, I put this down to my first experience with a 90 minute boil, and not adjusting the pre-boil volume to accommodate this loss.

I put the finished brew in a cube, and purged the air out. 5 mins later, I walked back over the cube and noticed that the cube had developed a split in it, luckily the cube was on it's side.

Currently I have placed some cling wrap over the cube and placed some electrical tape to secure it. Should I leave it in this cube, transfer it to another cube (beer still quite hot) or is the beer ruined? Unfortunately, I can not ferment the brew until Tuesday.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Jase

Presuming there is no tap in the cube?

I would let cool, re-boil and re-cube but if there is a tap, sanitise another cube and some hose and run off into that.

Presuming there is no tap in the cube?

I would let cool, re-boil and re-cube but if there is a tap, sanitise another cube and some hose and run off into that.

Unfortunately no tap.

How long should I re-boil the brew for?

Cheers,
Jase

2 minutes would probably be fine, 10 to be cautious. You'll **** up your hop additions somewhat though. Why can't you pitch tomorrow (presuming it smells OK?)

2 minutes would probably be fine, 10 to be cautious. You'll **** up your hop additions somewhat though. Why can't you pitch tomorrow (presuming it smells OK?)

I won't be home from work until about 10pm, and I need to get a starter going (first attempt at liquid yeast for some years)

If the liquid is a fresh smack pack, in this instance I would risk underpitching by adding the yeast straight to the wort (in the new vessel) as long as the wort smells OK.

Main cube infections I've had have been from non-sealing cubes left for a few days.

Being an IPA, I understand you may want to build a starter due to high OG but, while re-boiling may save the wort, you'll screw with the late hop additions and balance somewhat. No perfect road forward so I guess consider the options and take the one you think will give the best result.

I had a cube split once and once only - fortunately it was just full of hot water. I have re-boiled wort before though.

If the liquid is a fresh smack pack, in this instance I would risk underpitching by adding the yeast straight to the wort (in the new vessel) as long as the wort smells OK.

Main cube infections I've had have been from non-sealing cubes left for a few days.

Being an IPA, I understand you may want to build a starter due to high OG but, while re-boiling may save the wort, you'll screw with the late hop additions and balance somewhat. No perfect road forward so I guess consider the options and take the one you think will give the best result.

I had a cube split once and once only - fortunately it was just full of hot water. I have re-boiled wort before though.

+1

forget pitching rates, maticle is on the money here IMHO, get the beer brewing on what good yeast you can before the baddies set in.

QldKev

Currently I have placed some cling wrap over the cube and placed some electrical tape to secure it. Should I leave it in this cube, transfer it to another cube (beer still quite hot) or is the beer ruined? Unfortunately, I can not ferment the brew until Tuesday.

Put Starsan in a sprayer... spray the clingwrap. Then another layer of wrap and spray...
I had a similar thing happen, pitched the next day without an issue.

Found this thread due to the fact that the success of a perfect brew-day ended up being sabotaged by a split cube.

Thought I couldn't get the lid to close air-tight then realised the cube had split on the 'shoulder' of the cube. Split is well above the level of the wort.

I had to duck off immediately after the cubing of the wort and therefore have not insured myself against any further infection by glad-wrap or the like. I did spray the entire outside of the cube with my sanitiser solution (iodophor:water, 1:1000 solution).

As per the previous advice i plan to just press ahead, provided wort smells ok - i doubt ill see any evidence of swelling due to the fact that i cubed at 1pm in addition that co2 can vent via the split, its probably in the 40's or 50's right now at lowest, and ill pitch my wy1968 tomorrow morning and rush it through to avoid any potential infection. Sound Feasible?

As a side note jase, howd it turn out for you?

Cling wrap works, spray some starsan under it first. As the cube cools the pressure drops relative to atmosphere & the cling wrap tends to get pulled into the crack. I've gotten away with it a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back