Split Co2 Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownshoes

Reaction score
I've been having issues with my co2 line constantly splitting at the barb where it connects to the regulator. Initially I thought it was caused by high pressure while force carbonating. I've replaced the line and left the co2 at 15psi and it still split. Both times the line is/was 5mm ID. The line doesn't require much force to get onto the barb, just a bit of hot water and it goes straight on so I'm not sure it's due to it being over stretched.

The configuration is cylinder -> keg king regulator -> line -> one way valve -> line -> ball lock

The first time the line split, as I said, was when I was attempting to force carbonate before I had a one way valve. Beer flowed back towards the regulator but I don't believe it entered the regulator but rather sprayed out the split in the line.

Any suggestions on why the line might be splitting?

Thanks

Have not heard of that one before

You mention the beer flowed past the check valve and came out the split near the barb.
My first thought, have you got the one way valve facing the wrong way. The arrow should point in the direction of the gas flow (to the keg)

If that is not it then
Is it worth upgrading the line that keeps on splitting to a higher quality line.

I use the Flexmaster 2 line and have had not problems.

I also have a clamp on the line on the regulator like this

Might be worth trying.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to close those stepless clamps without a pair of crimping pliers?

Sorry, re read your post, and I see at one point you didn't have the one way valve.
so disregard that bit

Can you use the wire-cutter part of a pair of pliers...
Yep, i have used that before and also works well, I thought at first it may cut the clamp...but no all was good!

I did have one of the stepless clamps but replaced it with a screw tight one as it has happened a few times and it easier to get on and off each time.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to close those stepless clamps without a pair of crimping pliers?

Chuck them in the bin, they are pieces of shit Enzed have s/s hose clamps that fit for bugger all

To the OP. I would talk to the supplier of the line. I've only ever had 1 line split, also at the barb, and it was after several years of use. The platic was dried out, so it was about time the line got replaced anyway.

Chuck them in the bin, they are pieces of shit Enzed have s/s hose clamps that fit for bugger all

images.jpg

I should have mentioned both times I've used keg king line. It just seems really odd that everyone I've spoken to says they've never had this problem!

I'll try to track down a different brand line and see how that goes.

I should have mentioned both times I've used keg king line. It just seems really odd that everyone I've spoken to says they've never had this problem!

I'll try to track down a different brand line and see how that goes.

Could be a dodgy batch. Check with Keg King

I got both the 5mm and 6mm KK lines at home and as you said.... I have not had a problem with them either.
Sorry no help but just thought I'd let you know.

A follow up to this, I think I've solved the problem. Each time I was heating up the hose, pushing it over the barb as far as possible and clamping pretty much straight away.

I tried again but this time only put just enough over the barb to clamp and waited a while before screwing the clamp on. So far so good. I was able to force carbonate without any splitting.

(attached is a picture of the split hose)

IMAG0139.jpg

A follow up to this, I think I've solved the problem. Each time I was heating up the hose, pushing it over the barb as far as possible and clamping pretty much straight away.

I tried again but this time only put just enough over the barb to clamp and waited a while before screwing the clamp on. So far so good. I was able to force carbonate without any splitting.

(attached is a picture of the split hose)

If you have anymore problems sent me a PM, I don't use beer line for my C02, I use a designed pressure line. I'll have a bit to spare.

Batz

Has this problem still been bothering you ?

Same problem here. KK line, splitting at "non-stepped" barbs.......

Has this problem still been bothering you ?

Same problem here. KK line, splitting at "non-stepped" barbs.......

As mentioned above, only once have I had line split and it was close to the barb, a very tight bend and after about 4 or 5 years of use. I think the issue may be an inferior product. It's not cheap when you save $2 on line, but it costs you a CO2 refill.

QldKev

Back