Split Boil And Hop Utilisation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerBoy

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum though I have been a long time reader. I presently do not have the equipment to do full boils, so having recently done 2 all grain brews I split the boil into 2 pots and did it on the kitchen stove and it workrd quite successfully.
What I would like anyone's opinion on is when it comes to hop utilisation would I be better off splitting the bittering and flavouring hops into each pot equally or just using a single pot and doing a high gravity boil?
The last 2 times I have split the hops for each pot and the bittering was fine, though I did end up with a higher gravity wort which I had to add water to to achieve the desired og anyway.
Anyone opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

You will get better hop utilisation by splitting between the 2 boils...

G'day Boiler boy.

I'd split your pots. You'll probably get better hop utilization and less darkening of the wort this way. As big a pain as it is. It will most likely work out better.

Warren -

Sorry Ross.

I was a bit slow on the type there. :lol:

Good thing we concured. :beerbang:

Warren -

Thanks guys for your quick reply, while on the suject of boiling how much longer would you extend the boiling time for a higher gravity wort?

BoilerBoy said:
Thanks guys for your quick reply, while on the suject of boiling how much longer would you extend the boiling time for a higher gravity wort?
[post="77118"][/post]​

Get yourself promash or beersmith & they will do all the calculations for you - that's too broad a question to answer accurately.
Beersmith is what i use & available on 21 days free trial - www.beersmith.com
cost is less than a carton - fantastic value...

Back