Spitfire Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Had a pint of this last night in Queen St mall

It is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. Not an IPA by any stretch of the imagination. Horrible horrible beer.

Anyone know more information about it?

To clarify, which particular brewery's Spitfire are you talking about?

I think it's brewed by Burleigh Brewing for the Pig and Whistle brand of pubs. Maybe. Only had one late at night, certainly not an IPA but I thought it was pretty inoffensive. It was a late night though.

Had a pint of it once at riverside pig n whistle. Totally forgetable and not even close to recognizing it as an ipa.

I am glad you blokes have given the heads up on this brew - last time I was in Brisbane, the pub in the mall had a "Spitfire" tap on the go that caught my eye as I walked by. Didn't have time to sample - so put it on the to-do list for next time. It has been bugging me since then, Shepherd Neame Spitfire on tap in Australia, it cannot be ........ and yes it cannot be. Off the to-do list.

Yep, brewed by Burleigh for the Pig & Whistle chain.
Brewed to the specs that the pub wanted. It was the pub that wanted to call it an IPA.
Have only had it once, just after it was released, and thought that it was a rather inoffensive bitter.

Spitfire was never an IPA.

It was a nice bitter, in Blighty...

Please try and find SN's bottled version (should be in most posh Bottle shops...)... Nice malt, Target, Goldings and First Gold...

I'm pretty sure I had this at a pub in Maroochydore/Sunshine Coast Plaza. I thought it was okay ... compared to VB, Carlton Draught, etc, etc. It had some character and was very clean tasting.

Not sure I'd classify it as an IPA - English perhaps, but I would be happy to have another one.

Stuart ...

I tried some last week. Lots of malt, but an IPA?! Nah... Very disappointing.

Spitfire was never an IPA.

It was a nice bitter, in Blighty...

Please try and find SN's bottled version (should be in most posh Bottle shops...)... Nice malt, Target, Goldings and First Gold...

True. Spitfire's ok in the bottle or draught in the UK, but nothing revelatory.

The stuff they sell in P&W's bears no resemblance to it that I can detect. In fact I only tried it once and avoid it now.

<cracked record>
Well for those old enough to remember records

In their homeland, Spitfire, Abbott Ale, Old Speckled hen, Bombardier etc etc are living breathing cask ales. The bottled versions are usually different as they have to withstand filtering and pasteurisation so they usually up some of the ingredients a bit to compensate for what is really a lack of "freshness" so the beer is immediately different to the cask. Unlike the cask versions, the bottled versions are at their peak when they leave the brewery and go gradually downhill from there, especially if left on a pallet outside Dans for a day in the sun.

The keg versions that we get at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow or the Fat Old Jolly Pom Pub etc are basically just the bottled version put in a giant bottle and shipped half way around the planet. And then probably left in the sun for a day as well. The E&W has OSH on tap right now - had a pint last week and disappointing, actually reminded me of an old school Tom Caxton beer kit :(
However I scored a nice six pack from Dans at Chermside before Xmas.

I didn't travel to the antipodes to drink UK Keg fizz, I'll leave these beers to my next trip and drink the real version.

<cracked record>

Edit: I notice with the OSH and the Bombardier, it pours very slowly. I think that it is sent out with low carb in the keg so that pubs like the PnW can attach a beer engine and do them on hand pump to give the illusion that you are getting real ale, which is not only impossible but a wank.

<cracked record>
The keg versions that we get at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow or the Fat Old Jolly Pom Pub etc are basically just the bottled version put in a giant bottle and shipped half way around the planet.
<cracked record>

But I think the Spitfire P&W is selling is actually brewed here, not Shepherd Neame as a previous poster said... is it POR i taste? :blink:

IIRC (and happy to be corrected) someone like the Taphouse or Feral are getting some real casks soon so somewhere we could be enjoying real real ale :D

But I think the Spitfire P&W is selling is actually brewed here, not Shepherd Neame as a previous poster said... is it POR i taste? :blink:

IIRC (and happy to be corrected) someone like the Taphouse or Feral are getting some real casks soon so somewhere we could be enjoying real real ale :D

Its brewed by Burleigh Brewing for the Elephant & Wheelbarrow I think.

You'd think Shepherd Neame would have something to say about that.

My guess is they say ...

"give us $XXXX / yr and we'll give you the right to con people into thinking they're drinking something they're not." :D

You'd think Shepherd Neame would have something to say about that.

Yeah I know, probably what shed said or maybe branding it as Spitfire IPA gets them around it. Anyway, I knew I'd heard it from somewhere and seen it confirmed here. Turns out this thread in fact now I look a little closer. Although Ian says its for the Pig and Whistle, not the Elephant and Wheelbarrow nor the Cock and Balls or similar so perhaps the stuff is the kegged export Shepard Neame product at the Elephant and/or Wheelbarrow.

I think it's brewed by Burleigh Brewing for the Pig and Whistle brand of pubs. Maybe. Only had one late at night, certainly not an IPA but I thought it was pretty inoffensive. It was a late night though.

A Burliegh sales rep told me it was their "My Wife's Bitter" rebadged as Spitfire IPA for Pig and Whistle. He intimated that the name was more of a idea by Pig and Whistle and not Burliegh at all.

M

Dear Michael

Thank you very much for your e-mail. Sorry to hear there is a rather
"nasty beer" in circulation but can confirm that it is absolutely
nothing to do with Shepherd Neame. We do ship Spitfire to Australia but
bottled beer only.

I have also copied Olly Scott our Export Sales Manager on the e-mail as
he will naturally be interested on your comments.

Once again thank you for your interest in our product.

Kind regards
Pauline
Export
Shepherd Neame Ltd
0044 1795 597011
0044 1795 597099

Latest posts

Back