Spilt a few grains in my BIAB urn- is this a problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
I'm doing a spiced chocolate/coffee stout so it's going to be pretty rich and heavy. The bag slipped off the rim of the urn and a few grains came out. Is this going to be a problem if there's say 20-50g of grains floating around during the boil? Astringency? Anything like that?

I usually keep a kitchen strainer handy (well I'm brewing in the kitchen these days so have the choice of a couple to hand) good for dipping out any little accidents.
Its a bit like making Billie Tea; Tea, Water and Sugar, bring to the boil and you get rich tasting if sweet tea, do the same without the sugar and it would be astringent enough to tan leather - the sugar blocks tannins (astringency) from coming into solution (well at least to some extent).
Still not best practice you are likely to extract some starch and be hot enough to have killed off all the enzymes so you can end up with some starch haze. Probably not going to be noticeable if its only a very small mount of grain, but better to scoop out any grist as soon as you can.
Mark

Cheers. I did try scooping a few grains but when I cleaned up thismorning there were very few grains on the bottom anyway, so I think it'll be fine.

Back