Spike brewing conical fermenters unitanks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the good current AUD/USD exchange rate I'm going to grab one of the Spike CF15s very soon, hopefully this week. Purchase prices on the fermenters are CF10 USD$625, CF15 USD$750.

On @Hubert's advice I got in touch with Mike at InXpress regarding importing the fermenters, and now just want to see if there is anyone else in Brisbane (or willing to collect from Brisbane) interested in getting some Spike gear so as to reduce combined shipping costs from Milwaukee.

Indicative ($AUD, excluding GST) pricing for shipping only from Mike is:
  • ~$430 for one CF10, 6-10 days delivery
  • ~$530 for one CF15, 6-10 days delivery
  • ~$1020 for three CF15s, sea freight 45-52 days delivery, so about $340 each

As such, I'm looking for another 2+ people who are keen in the next week-ish to go in on a group shipment, otherwise I'll just go the single unit option. Mike advises that three units will likely be enough to qualify for sea freight and hence the cheaper price - any additional units will be fine but will not significantly improve the cost-per-unit any further.

Mike advises that no import duty will be payable on the Spike gear, however if the total shipment value is over $AUD1000 it will be subject to GST. Any additional accessories are likely to fit in the packaging for the fermenters and therefore will not incur any additional shipping costs (as they are based on volume, not weight).

It's short notice obviously but I'm keen to make this happen asap so if anyone's interested in joining in please let me know sooner rather than later. I've got a bit more info from Mike but I won't go into too many more specifics here now - if anyone has any questions please just let me know.

https://spikebrewing.com/collections/fermenters/products/cf15
https://spikebrewing.com/collections/fermenters

Last edited:
$A1020 for three CF15s.

what's the shipping costs from the US?

that looks phenomenal if the numbers are correct just for the product alone.

Sorry, with hindsight that was a very ambiguous post by me - those are the shipping costs that I quoted, not purchase. I've updated the post to clarify.

Purchase prices on the fermenters are CF10 USD$625, CF15 USD$750.

Last edited:
I would have been keen but i contacted spike about dimensions last week and the ones they have on the website are measured without any valves or accessories attached. So the CF10 went from being a pretty tight squeeze in my ferment fridge to not even close to fitting. I'd double check with them before committing if you plan on putting it in a fridge.

they are probably more suited to jacket cooling, they are bigish units i would be surprised if you could find a unit to cool them short of a cool room.

I would have been keen but i contacted spike about dimensions last week and the ones they have on the website are measured without any valves or accessories attached. So the CF10 went from being a pretty tight squeeze in my ferment fridge to not even close to fitting. I'd double check with them before committing if you plan on putting it in a fridge.

Good info, thanks. Did you get any actual dimensions that you could share? I asked for some drawings last week but they didn't give me anything useful.

I looked at the Spike gear, as well as the SS Brewtech Brewmaster, and several other options out there. They are pretty sweet units.

The inline cooling coil would be fine for fermenting, but would not suit as a serving tank as less contact with the beer as it is consumed unless the coil reaches the conical area. Would be fine in a ferment fridge though.

I ended up going with jacketed fermenters from Brew-Tek and glycol chilling in an insulated room.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/glycol-chilling-and-multiple-jacketed-fermentors.97625/

They make non-jacketed fermenters that are tight and compact for ferment fridges, but a little more pricey.

Good info, thanks. Did you get any actual dimensions that you could share? I asked for some drawings last week but they didn't give me anything useful.
I must have deleted the email sorry, i think its mainly the sample valve sticking out the front thought to be honest.

they are bigish units i would be surprised if you could find a unit to cool them short of a cool room.

measured without any valves or accessories attached. So the CF10 went from being a pretty tight squeeze in my ferment fridge to not even close to fitting. I'd double check with them before committing if you plan on putting it in a fridge.

I’ve got the CF15 with the additional ports and it fits nicely in my ferment fridge. Mind you, I did get the unit first then trawled gumtree & farcebook marketplace a fridge that would fit it. Internal dimensions of 50x50 gives ample space to fit yeast starters etc around the legs.

Cheers,

H.

I’ve got the CF15 with the additional ports and it fits nicely in my ferment fridge. Mind you, I did get the unit first then trawled gumtree & farcebook marketplace a fridge that would fit it. Internal dimensions of 50x50 gives ample space to fit yeast starters etc around the legs.

Cheers,

H.
Hey Hubert, if you get a chance would you mind checking the maximum depth of your unit for me please, as in front to back, including valves? I've got a pretty big fridge but I think it's more like 470 mm deep than 500. Would be good to make sure the door will shut before I purchase one.

Thanks mate

That CF30 looks great for the price. Doubt you could cold crash easily with the coil though.

Hey Hubert, if you get a chance would you mind checking the maximum depth of your unit for me please, as in front to back, including valves? I've got a pretty big fridge but I think it's more like 470 mm deep than 500. Would be good to make sure the door will shut before I purchase one.

Thanks mate

@Meddo, the unit itself is 430mm, with the valves extruding a further 80mm out from that. So from back to extremities is just over 500mm. Remember though, you will gain a few mm in the door thanks to the seal and if you take the shelves off.
Mine sits in a Fisher & Paykel C450 single door fridge nicely or reference.

@Meddo, the unit itself is 430mm, with the valves extruding a further 80mm out from that. So from back to extremities is just over 500mm. Remember though, you will gain a few mm in the door thanks to the seal and if you take the shelves off.
Mine sits in a Fisher & Paykel C450 single door fridge nicely or reference.

Great, thanks Hubert. I reckon on an angle I'll be able to get it in fine.

I’m interested, but a little unsure if this is going to be ideal.
I’m really after a stainless conical fermenter that can handle pressure ferment and transfer, with a thermowell. The chronically looks good, but i really need something that’s 8 gal, the 7 gal doesn’t seem to be enough headroom.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I’m interested, but a little unsure if this is going to be ideal.
I’m really after a stainless conical fermenter that can handle pressure ferment and transfer, with a thermowell. The chronically looks good, but i really need something that’s 8 gal, the 7 gal doesn’t seem to be enough headroom.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I wound up ordering a CF10 on my own - should be getting on a plane any minute...

I was tossing up between the Spike and the SS Brewtech unitank in 10 gal sizes. I chose the Spike cos I reckon it would be easier to clean with the full-width removable lid. I'm not so confident on the performance of my sump pump for CIP that I'm prepared to compromise scrubbing access...

I've also read a number of complaints about the weld quality on the SSB unitanks - possibly due to not having as easy access to the internals? No such complaints for the Spike, that I've found anyway.

I prefer the cooling coil design on the Spike, although I'm not sure I'll ever use it given the ambient temps in my Brisbane garage. On the plus side for the SSB they've got the local distribution set up, more ports, a larger TC port in the lid which potentially opens up more options with modified caps, and arguably a bit prettier...

Edit: just saw you mention the Chronical - I could be wrong but I don't think they'll do pressure fermentation, just low pressure transfers - you'll need the unitank for pressure fermentation or forced carbonation.

Last edited:
Shame I just found the thread, I'm in Brisbane too. Thanks for the reply

I was actually leaning towards the SSB unitank in a 14, although was also considering the spine. You mentioned poor weld quality, did you have a source or review? Can't seem to find many reviews on the SSB.

Cheers
Dave

I wound up ordering a CF10 on my own - should be getting on a plane any minute...

I was tossing up between the Spike and the SS Brewtech unitank in 10 gal sizes. I chose the Spike cos I reckon it would be easier to clean with the full-width removable lid. I'm not so confident on the performance of my sump pump for CIP that I'm prepared to compromise scrubbing access...

I've also read plenty of complaints about the weld quality on the SSB unitanks - possibly due to not having as easy access to the internals? No such complaints for the Spike, that I've found anyway.

I prefer the cooling coil design on the Spike, although I'm not sure I'll ever use it given the ambient temps in my Brisbane garage. On the plus side for the SSB they've got the local distribution set up, more ports, a larger TC port in the lid which potentially opens up more options with modified caps, and arguably a bit prettier...

Edit: just saw you mention the Chronical - I could be wrong but I don't think they'll do pressure fermentation, just low pressure transfers - you'll need the unitank for pressure fermentation or forced carbonation.

I was actually leaning towards the SSB unitank in a 14, although was also considering the spine. You mentioned poor weld quality, did you have a source or review? Can't seem to find many reviews on the SSB.

Cheers
Dave
Hey Dave, this was the first one I found - did a bit more reading/watching afterwards and found a few other reviews with similar sentiment. I haven't looked at one myself so secondhand info only.

How much was the unit delivered in $AUD?
Would you mind starting another thread when you get it to give it a review etc after you've done a couple of brews?
Would love to hear your thoughts on how it would go with a smaller sized batch ~23-26lt. Would also love to see some pics and feedback.
You must be pretty excited with that bit of shiny on the way!!!

Damn that's unfortunate! Will have to have a look first hand when they arrive

Hey Dave, this was the first one I found - did a bit more reading/watching afterwards and found a few other reviews with similar sentiment. I haven't looked at one myself so secondhand info only.

Back