Spike brewing conical fermenters unitanks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus.Morgo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is anyone using or had a play with the spike brewing conical fermenter unitanks?

I was planning on buying a SS Brewtech conical and brite tank (smallest versions), SS Brewtech has said they are looking at doing a smaller 7gal unitank but no date.

Seeing as Spike brewing has the CF5 which is up to 7Gal I'm leaning that way.
I like that unitank option halves the space compared to a conical and brite tank plus its cheaper, should help with performance and lower infection risks etc

Any thoughts?

The CF5 has just been made available for pre order. I'll wait for reviews before going ahead but have heard other gear by them is pretty good, apparently heavier duty than some others.

Hi all,

Is anyone using or had a play with the spike brewing conical fermenter unitanks?

<snip>

Any thoughts?

I emailed Spike a while ago, prior to their Unitank launch, about availability in Australia. They said they have many projects underway, one of which is working on Australian availability/distributor.

I have been meaning to follow them up to see how that is going, but I would certainly be interesting in the Spike Uni as by all accounts the welding is superb and the SS Brewtech TC ports on the front can be a bit crowed I hear.

How would you get a Spike conical here? Would there be any advantage in a multiple buy? I'd certainly be interested.

Maybe my only concern is the pressure rating, says 15psi, which is fine when cold crashing but would prefer it to be higher to pressure ferment at ale temps (I need to look more into this). Also says it handles 5psi transfers for the band which seems odd.

I haven't looked into shipping yet though I have a US mail forwarder I could likely use. Might find out the size and weight of packed uni from them first though.

I haven't looked into shipping yet though I have a US mail forwarder I could likely use. Might find out the size and weight of packed uni from them first though.

I've replied to my old email to see if there is an update on international (Aussie) shipping. I'll post back here if/when I get a response.

If you ask them about shipping dimensions, weight and volumetric etc weight also ask how many they get to a pallet. I am guessing it might be 4, this could make shipping into Aus much cheaper if everyone got together on it.

I'll post back here if/when I get a response.

I heard back from Ryan at Spike, firstly he confirmed the working and transfer pressure is 15psi.

Secondly, he has suggested getting in contact with a freight forwarder they have used before for shipping into Aus.

The details provided are

Michael Paine | Senior Freight Consultant

InXpress Barossa Valley
PO Box 3, Gawler, SA 5118
Phone: 1300 584 884
Email: [email protected]

I'd be interested in the CF10 as it can do 5 and 10 gallon batches, but I guess it would need all the accessories in the same shipment so it adds up.

Anybody want to talk to Michael and suss out the details and what, if any, benefits would come from shipping a couple at once?

I heard back from Ryan at Spike, firstly he confirmed the working and transfer pressure is 15psi.

Secondly, he has suggested getting in contact with a freight forwarder they have used before for shipping into Aus.

The details provided are

Michael Paine | Senior Freight Consultant

InXpress Barossa Valley
PO Box 3, Gawler, SA 5118
Phone: 1300 584 884
Email: [email protected]

I'd be interested in the CF10 as it can do 5 and 10 gallon batches, but I guess it would need all the accessories in the same shipment so it adds up.

Anybody want to talk to Michael and suss out the details and what, if any, benefits would come from shipping a couple at once?

Hey CJW,
I used Mike to ship my CF15 out recently. Communication from him is fantastic. Price was better than I could arrange myself too (his contacts are heaps better than mine :) ). He also had contact fairly regularly with Ryan from Spike, so there were no surprises when the quote for freight came in.
I only shipped a single unit with a few extras in the one shipment. You can however fit four to a pellet and this would cost roughly the same as one air freighted, but take 6 odd weeks to get to Aus. I just wanted mine sooner, and didn’t have three other buyers lined up and sorted.
In the end, door to door from the US to regional Qld, approx $450 and a week transit.

As for the CF15, welds are great, solidly built piece of kit. Very well protected for shipping too, so another bonus there. Currently have a Mosaic SMaSH fermenting away nicely. Highly recommend the CIP ball Spike sell too. Works a test with my Kaxin mag drive pump. Massive port in the lid for dry-hopping and 2’ dump port on the other end.

Solid, well though out bit of kit.

Do it, you deserve it!

Cheers.

Hubert, how are you cooling yours ?
I'm thinking of the 10, have an old glycol chiller sitting around doing nothing, was thinking of using it with the centre cooling coil.

@seamad, the CF15 fits nicely in a STC1000 controlled fridge. Glycol chillers aren’t really an effective option in Nth Qld unfortunately, would be constantly running.

Ok, sorry for the delay. Was caught up Christmassing with the family...
All pics are on the external of the unitank. The internals are all polished and sanitary.

IMG_2814.JPG

4" TC modular top port

IMG_2815.JPG

1.5" TC port

IMG_2817.JPG

1.5" TC sample valve fitting

IMG_2818.JPG

Leg

My thoughts so far:
- Recommend getting your TC fittings from Spike as well, they are of better quality than the ones I can get locally.
- The CIP ball works ok with a kaxin pump. Am going to see how it goes with a Chugger or March in the new year. Currently it doesn’t give full coverage in the one spot. All it really means in its current configuration is I have to move the lid around to clean and sanitise, not a biggie.
- If you’re going to be doing 5gal batches with the occasional double/triple, go a smaller unit. The temp port lies in line with the 5gal mark.

Happy Brewing.

None at the moment, I’ll grab some over the next day or so and post back here
What is your thoughts regarding the lid seal, I would love to see one and get an impression regarding the construction.

Is it rolled? Does it seem solid or flimsy? I have no grounds to doubt their engineering but i would love to see it before purchasing one.

What is your thoughts regarding the lid seal, I would love to see one and get an impression regarding the construction.

Is it rolled? Does it seem solid or flimsy?

The rubber seal works a treat. Seats nicely and is easy to install/remove. The Spike crew even sent a spare for Justin. Not envisaging having to use it in the near future, but a nice gesture none the less.
The clamp that holds the lid works. IMHO it looks like the bleed actuator clamp used on old helo engines. And they never missed a beat. Three solid pieces held together by by a metal, semi-flexible strap. Definitely a two handed operation to fit. Holds the pressure the vessel is rated to without a worry.

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

Back