Spike brewing conical fermenters unitanks

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Aus.Morgo, 28/10/17.

1. Aus.Morgo

Posted 28/10/17
    Hi all,

Is anyone using or had a play with the spike brewing conical fermenter unitanks?

I was planning on buying a SS Brewtech conical and brite tank (smallest versions), SS Brewtech has said they are looking at doing a smaller 7gal unitank but no date.

Seeing as Spike brewing has the CF5 which is up to 7Gal I'm leaning that way.
    I like that unitank option halves the space compared to a conical and brite tank plus its cheaper, should help with performance and lower infection risks etc

Any thoughts?

droid likes this.
  2. droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han

Posted 28/10/17
    I'm a uni tank fan too, linky?

3. Aus.Morgo

4. Aus.Morgo

Posted 28/10/17
    The CF5 has just been made available for pre order. I'll wait for reviews before going ahead but have heard other gear by them is pretty good, apparently heavier duty than some others.

5. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 28/10/17
    Spike makes some well thought out, solid gear, IMHAO.

6. CJW

Posted 29/10/17
    I emailed Spike a while ago, prior to their Unitank launch, about availability in Australia. They said they have many projects underway, one of which is working on Australian availability/distributor.

I have been meaning to follow them up to see how that is going, but I would certainly be interesting in the Spike Uni as by all accounts the welding is superb and the SS Brewtech TC ports on the front can be a bit crowed I hear.

How would you get a Spike conical here? Would there be any advantage in a multiple buy? I'd certainly be interested.

Maybe my only concern is the pressure rating, says 15psi, which is fine when cold crashing but would prefer it to be higher to pressure ferment at ale temps (I need to look more into this). Also says it handles 5psi transfers for the band which seems odd.

droid likes this.
  7. Aus.Morgo

Posted 29/10/17
    I haven't looked into shipping yet though I have a US mail forwarder I could likely use. Might find out the size and weight of packed uni from them first though.

Jase likes this.
  8. CJW

Posted 29/10/17
    I've replied to my old email to see if there is an update on international (Aussie) shipping. I'll post back here if/when I get a response.

If you ask them about shipping dimensions, weight and volumetric etc weight also ask how many they get to a pallet. I am guessing it might be 4, this could make shipping into Aus much cheaper if everyone got together on it.

9. Aus.Morgo

Posted 1/11/17
    EalingDrop likes this.
  10. CJW

Posted 1/11/17
    I heard back from Ryan at Spike, firstly he confirmed the working and transfer pressure is 15psi.

Secondly, he has suggested getting in contact with a freight forwarder they have used before for shipping into Aus.

The details provided are

Michael Paine | Senior Freight Consultant

InXpress Barossa Valley
    PO Box 3, Gawler, SA 5118
    Phone: 1300 584 884
    Email: michael.paine@inxpress.com

I'd be interested in the CF10 as it can do 5 and 10 gallon batches, but I guess it would need all the accessories in the same shipment so it adds up.

Anybody want to talk to Michael and suss out the details and what, if any, benefits would come from shipping a couple at once?

Hubert likes this.
  11. Hubert

Posted 7/12/17
    Hey CJW,
    I used Mike to ship my CF15 out recently. Communication from him is fantastic. Price was better than I could arrange myself too (his contacts are heaps better than mine :) ). He also had contact fairly regularly with Ryan from Spike, so there were no surprises when the quote for freight came in.
    I only shipped a single unit with a few extras in the one shipment. You can however fit four to a pellet and this would cost roughly the same as one air freighted, but take 6 odd weeks to get to Aus. I just wanted mine sooner, and didn’t have three other buyers lined up and sorted.
    In the end, door to door from the US to regional Qld, approx $450 and a week transit.

As for the CF15, welds are great, solidly built piece of kit. Very well protected for shipping too, so another bonus there. Currently have a Mosaic SMaSH fermenting away nicely. Highly recommend the CIP ball Spike sell too. Works a test with my Kaxin mag drive pump. Massive port in the lid for dry-hopping and 2’ dump port on the other end.

Solid, well though out bit of kit.

Do it, you deserve it!

Cheers.

CJW, malt junkie and razz like this.