Spent Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickTed

Reaction score
Threw the grain on the back lawn, thinking all the birds around the place would like to hoe into them, but they just walk nervously past them lookin for worms.

Birds are spoilt these days.

dickTed said:
Threw the grain on the back lawn, thinking all the birds around the place would like to hoe into them, but they just walk nervously past them lookin for worms.

Birds are spoilt these days.
[post="58589"][/post]​

HAve you got a dog?...they make good dog biscuits

Gulf Brewery said:
ozbrewer said:
HAve you got a dog?...they make good dog biscuits
[post="58607"][/post]​

Poor dog :p
[post="58622"][/post]​

My Dobermanns love the spent grain but even two of them can only take care of a small amout. And next day meusli bars.

You can use a couple of eggs some peanut butter and the spent grain with some flour and water to make a very good dog biscuit.

Just a note -- Hops are deadly to dogs so don't give them any mash hopped grain.

Steve

I've got mine forming a nice little pile in a corner of my garden. Had a poke through it on the weekend and it was full of worms and all sorts of tiny critters. It will probably make a good place to grow some hops or something. Never seen any birds there though (you'd think they'd at least be interested in the worms!).

The only critters that I have noted in my spent grain is Black Ants and fly maggots.

Now this would normally be a bad thing, but, as a pest control company it gives me an opportunity the see which treatment works the best to eradicate these pests.

Mind you, the smell can be a little overbearing if when you dump the grain, you dont spread it thin with a rake.

A small inconvenience for the result a a good beer.

Cheers

hmm one the rare occasion I dump the grain birds have finished it off in 3-4 days.

Mostly though I give spent grain to neighbor, get lovely Chinese meals in exchange! Yum!

My stupid Chi wouldn't even look at spent grain dog biccys :)

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
hmm one the rare occasion I dump the grain birds have finished it off in 3-4 days.

Mostly though I give spent grain to neighbor, get lovely Chinese meals in exchange! Yum!

My stupid Chi wouldn't even look at spent grain dog biccys :)

Jovial Monk
[post="58649"][/post]​

your lucky you still got ya dog.......maybe it was a big dog and they have been kooking it up bit by bit for you

I have a farmer that takes away my spent grain for her cattle. They get through a couple of hundred kilo in around 3-4 days. She says they have a much better coat,very shiny. A couple of times I have spread it over my Dad's backlawn. It really took off. Kikuyu loves a challenge and has come through even thicker than before.
Cheers
Gerard

Chuck it in the compost. Add a bit of garden lime to stop the compost getting too acid.

99.99% in the compost.

A few grains makes bloody good rodent bait.

deebee said:
A few grains makes bloody good rodent bait.
[post="58707"][/post]​

Can vouch for that deebee... <_< First time a bought a bag of Marris Otter I decided to just leave it sitting in the garage as I had no plans for it for a couple of weeks. (Who's an idiot :wacko: )

Come out one day to find about 4 neatly chewed, mouse-sized holes in the sack and a lot of the husks outside the hole. :angry:

Transferred the MO (name change to mouse otter) to another bag and put it into a sealed bin, in a bid for damage-control.

Damage wasn't too bad in the end. They didn't eat all that much luckily. Made some pretty good beers from the balance of the bag.

Warren -

I've been caught like that too. What's that stuff on the ground - doh!
It goes in hard plastic containers now. Spent grains go in the compost.

RobW said:
I've been caught like that too. What's that stuff on the ground - doh!
It goes in hard plastic containers now. Spent grains go in the compost.
[post="58728"][/post]​

Yep, don't want to gain a rep with the local rodents. Lest you catch them lining up at your garage door with BYO bags and 5ml bottles of Cab Sav. <_<

Let them go to another restaurant.

Warren -

I put all mine on the veggie patch in which the dog eats it fair shear and i spend the next day or two picking up muesli bars. My birds get a couple off hand fulls as well.

Stagger

Back