Spent Grain for Burley?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used their spent grains for burley?

I was thinking of mixing in some pillies or catfood and a little Tuna Oil and then freeze it into a few blocks.

Looking for suggestions on burley recipes and delivery methods (frozen, fresh, in a bag, toss it out as needed etc)

cheers,
Mat

I used to give it to my father in law. He caught some fish and when he cleaned them he found grains inside. It goes rank in containers pretty quickly tho so unless ya going fishing that day or the day after I wouldn’t worry about it unless you want to grow some mould up.

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used their spent grains for burley?

I was thinking of mixing in some pillies or catfood and a little Tuna Oil and then freeze it into a few blocks.

Looking for suggestions on burley recipes and delivery methods (frozen, fresh, in a bag, toss it out as needed etc)

cheers,
Mat
Yes, I do that. Usually freeze mixture in ice cream containers with water to make big ice blocks and hang over the side in mesh bags and they slowly defrost. Works well

I used to give it to my father in law. He caught some fish and when he cleaned them he found grains inside. It goes rank in containers pretty quickly tho so unless ya going fishing that day or the day after I wouldn’t worry about it unless you want to grow some mould up.

Sounds promising. By freezing them I should hopefully avoid the rank nastiness.

If only I was a brick layer...
28% increase in thermal retention with only 5% grain added is pretty impressive. I wonder if there's a brick company out there employing this, especially as it would be a cheap if not free resource. Surely there'd be a way to minimise the odour before kilning or at least minimise the human contact during that time.
Something to look into if I ever open a brewery or a brickworks :)

Yes, I do that. Usually freeze mixture in ice cream containers with water to make big ice blocks and hang over the side in mesh bags and they slowly defrost. Works well

Nice. I was going to use ice cream containers too. Just gotta check that the brick will fit into my burley bucket.

I just put my spent grain into milk bottles and add some tuna oil
Just squeeze some out when out on the water certainly gets the bait fish going

Not spent grain but the old cannabis seed is one of the best fish attractants in the grain dept, more fat less sugar and more protein high in amino acid (arginine) as are the fish themselves.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Back