spent grain bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
My missus has made some a few times but it always crumbles very easily, and most of the time a lot of it is inedibly sticky and gets binned.
Can anyone give us a recipe and method for good spent grain bread, I love eating it but if it was more successful it'd be made all the time..

I think you'll find all the starch and gluten needed to make bread has been extracted. Give it to the chooks or worms.

Yeah true that Quokka42. You can only add a small amount with the normal ingredients of bread for it to work ok. So its really just a handful/scoop of your spent grain bill which means the exercise really isn't worth it when it may just ruin your good bread recipe. I adapted it to a really simple recipe like Oatmeal crackers and even then I had to add loads more flour for it to bind and work ok. I just made chilli bread sticks like salty stick snacks. Once only. I cant say its worth doing again but others may have had better success. Main problem I found was too much water content in the spent grain and no gluten binding ability. I minced the stuff as well to try and get it gluey/doughy but that only happens with adding much more dry flour.

Last edited:
When I used to make bread with the cheap aldi breadmaker I used to add a cup of spent grain to a 1kg loag (substituting flour) and it worked out well, I did this a couple of dozen times with wet grain.

I cbf to dry the grain usually... but when I have dried it on occasion the dough is much more tolerant - went up to 50/50 spent grain with white flour.

Now I make sourdough I don't usually add grain as it makes the dough overly heavy when I use rye. However when I don't add rye to the bakers flour the dough can tolerate about 10-15% of weight as wet grain.

My partner also makes Anzac biscuits with the grain, not sure of the specific recipe but they are delicious.

The spent grain keeps for a couple of days in the fridge and freezes fine.

I've done this lots of times, the best way I figured out is to make basically a standard white loaf with nomal bakers bread flour and mix dried out spent grains through the dough to get a multigrain type of thing going on. Drying out the spent grains first was the key for me to avoiding the super doughy sticky bit that won't cook in the middle of the loaf, I just do it spread out on a tray in the oven.

I usually mix it up by look but I'd say maybe 1kg flour and dried grains to 600ml of warm water with rehydrated yeast, mix, knead, prove, knead, bake as usual.

thanks for the replys we'll give it another go, drying the grain first.

just eat a few handfuls after you drain the sweet miracle of your wort
that makes up for all the meat and beer we eat / drink

Someone posted some on FB. They looked like giant fake dog turd breadzels. They were delicious apparenly.

You don't necessarily need to dry the grain... What you need to do is work out how much moisture the soaked grain is adding to the mix and cut that much water out of the recipe. Essentially you are double adding water at the moment - once from the water you add in the bread recipe and again with the water that is contained in the grain.

Easiest way to work out hi much the grain is adding would be to take a small amount of soaked grain, but say 100g or so. Dry it in a low oven for an hour or so then re weigh it. The will give you how much water per 100g. After than the maths is simple.

Latest posts

Back