Spent Grain And Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available
Reaction score
Hi,

I put down an IPA last week and left some toasted cracked light malt and crystal malt in a bucket with a little bit of the wort for over a week. Would this be OK to give to a neighbour so she can feed it to her chickens? Will it have started breaking down? Will it cause problems for her chooks?

I don't want to kill some of her chooks.

Thanks,
Angus.

based on no real evidence it has prob been fermented by wild yeasts id stay on the safe side and dump it you dont know what might have happened to it

if its a small amount throw it. If in doubt dont do it. I bet it smells good ;) like a rooting carcass :p. Asking this in the AG or offtopic section may be better but some one will see it I am sure.

Someone was telling me today (at the grain bulk-buy) how much their chooks totally love their old, rancid, maggot filled spent grain - so I see no reason why you shouldn't feed it to them.

I give mine to a workmate who has chooks, sometimes up to a week old. They still love it and can't get enough. So don't stress, it'll be fine. :)

If u read tge other spent grain threads you wll be able to see the.wide range of info about what animals can and vant eat spent grain. From memory iys ptretty much livestock being the onky issue if its not really fresh

If u read tge other spent grain threads you wll be able to see the.wide range of info about what animals can and vant eat spent grain. From memory iys ptretty much livestock being the onky issue if its not really fresh

Wow, drunk or iphone. Shocking post CM2

The chooks might get drunk off the fermented grain :lol:

cool, thanks guys. I think I might just throw this lot out as I don't want to cause any problems with her chooks.

OT: Why do lagers take so looonnggggg???? he he, itching to make another brew, but have a lager in fermenting fridge. I also have an IPA in the beer fridge fermenting so that should finish out in the next few days. Still got about 10 gravity points to drop.

Cheers,
Gus.

Wow, drunk or iphone. Shocking post CM2

The chooks might get drunk off the fermented grain :lol:
Yeah yeah kleiny. Read the small blue print in my sig mate. 95% of my posts r from phone now adays.

Anyways chooks love grain. Then when tgey stop laying youve got grain fed chook to eat

Back