Speed control electric drill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowering the voltage will also lower the torque. But I dont think drills have to work particularly hard to mill grain so you probably should be right. Just be prepared to part with the drill in case it doesnt work.

i would be more inclined to bypass the trigger with a pot and switch. provided this is a 'only used for milling' drill

I don't know what that is
I googled it it told me what it is but I still don't know what it is
I'm looking for something I can insert inline set the drill at a fixed speed and then vary it with a controlling knob (yeah I know)

To clarify - Is this a cordless or corded drill?

A pot is short for a potentiometer which in essence is a variable resistor. Generally though, these have to be wired into a circuit of some description as they are not capable of dealing with high current throughput. If you're not sure how to do this I'd advise to steer clear of DIY electric circuits, especially if this is AC.

The problem is that universal motors are very difficult to get running at a constant speed under load, unless the load is phenomenally stable (like a fan). AC induction motors are intrinsically self-regulating in terms of speed. However, with universal motors, torque is (roughly) inversely related to speed for a given voltage. This means that the motor will slow down to meet the applied force/torque. By reducing the voltage, you're reducing the speed but also limiting the maximum torque the drill can apply and this is exacerbating your low-speed instability.

There are two ways to control a universal motor speed - voltage and pulse width modulation (PWM). Unfortunately, either method will not compensate for changing loads without some form of speed feedback (eg a shaft encoder). Reducing the voltage through an external means will not improve the low-speed running stability.

The best option would be a gearbox or induction motor if you're keen on getting a more stable speed.

What you need is a clamp that will go around the handle and trigger . Like a metal band that will hold the trigger down to specific point where the drill speed is can be preset . Unlike our hand we just get the right speed and our grip shifts so the drill goes faster or stops altogether .

I use an 18 bolt battery drill and a cable tie that's loose.

Back