Specs For A Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynotnamlac

Reaction score
I would like to do small batches of 11 litres in a esky I have which has a cooling unit on it (its starting to get too hot where I live) but I will have to customize a container to act as a fermenter. Is there anything else that needs consideration?

1. Food grade
2. Good sealable lid
3. easy to clean

I was not going to worry about a tap, just use a siphon.

I would drill a whole in the lid for airlock.

Does it have to be round or can it be rectangular?

Thanks

You want to use an esky as a fermenter? for kit brews or all-grain?
I guess this is possible. i doubt the esky lid is very airtight anyway, so i don't perhaps see the need for the airlock, or i could be wrong, maybe they are. Mine isn't.

If you plan on doing all-grain I would just buy a fermenter and use the esky as a mashing vessel. you probably only need a 10L fermenter as your esky is small. That would make a pretty small ammount. but then i guess if you get out say 8L once a month. That covers the 1 beer a day health advice :lol:

If you are not going all grain (doing kit brews). i would just use the esky for carrying around beers like you normally would and buy a fermenter. you can get them for like $30.

Sorry, not to clear there. I want to put the fermenter in the esky.

What about a small stainless steel pot? BigW have a 14L one for about $15 (from memory). Seal rim with strip of Gladwrap. Put a small blow off tube in the air hole in the lid.

Then you're fermenting in stainless! Nothing better. Easy to sanitise with boiling water, and better heat exchange than plastic.

Up to you if you put a valve in it, or use a siphon.

willow do a blue 10Litre water container... bit like a 1/3 sized jerry can....

or you can get 10Litre cubes... it all depends on the shape/size of your esky/fridge...

but i like the idea of the stainless stock pot, i'd just be putting glad wrap over the pot and holding it down with the lid.. no need for an airlock

I'm fairly certain that those small fermenters are just as wide as regular fermentors, but shorter. And I'm assuming the OP requires something that will fit in his esky, as a regular fermenter wont.

The width is 25.6cms and depth just over 30cms.

It is an older version of this Mobicool

I'm fairly certain that those small fermenters are just as wide as regular fermentors, but shorter. And I'm assuming the OP requires something that will fit in his esky, as a regular fermenter wont.

No specs were given off the esky, I have a mate that houses a 30l fermenter in one

Why not use a plastic bag straight in the esky with the top tied up with bread clip or similar

Back