Speaking Of Keg Systems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackers

Reaction score
i'm getting a little slack on the bottle cleaning side of things
and just wondered how much gas regular keg users use per year.
the rental cost is $100 per year in Tas
$39 to fill a 10kg (VT Size) cylinder
so for less than $3 a week i could get out of washing bottles

But how long would 10kg of gas last
say on using 2 20L kegs per month?

cheers
crackers

A very long time ... I only have a 6kg size and have had it for 6 months (approx 12kegs+) and it is still plenty full. I have heard a 6kg one lasts well over a year from another brewer who has many more kegs than me.

Just make sure you don't have leaks if you plan on leaving it on all the time (I always turn mine off after dispensing).

I use the VT size (10kg).
I've had the bottle last 4 months and I've had it last 10 months.
As Crackers said it depends on leaks and how much you use etc.
My last one went in 4 months because I had a small leak (now fixed).
I'd average about three kegs a month, but also use the gas when cleaning kegs to force through the liquid though the keg and lines etc.
I also use the gas when using my CPBF which can use a bit of gas.

HTH,
Doc

i badly need a kegging system as bottling is costing me serious drinking time. Can anyone recommend a good system or can i trust what my local HBS offers? They want $365 for a starter kit which includes 1 keg.

wardy said:
Can anyone recommend a good system or can i trust what my local HBS offers?
The only advice I'd give is try and get the 22 ltr kegs not the the 18 ltr ones. They're a little bit more expensive but you can chuck a full brew straight into them. With the smaller ones you'll find you have a bit left over which you'll have to bottle or toss out.

Just my opinion.

I've got four of the 18l variety and I get anywhere between 4 and 10 stubbies out of a batch which is great to have when you go somewhere and can't take the kegs along (under strict orders from SWMBO)..........

hahaha contradicting views already.

You must be going to the wrong places if you're not allowed to take a keg Hopeye. I'm going to try and lug a keg along to the next BYO restaurant I go to. :lol:

Wardy

I posted in another thread (My Keg Set-Up) some details of a 2 keg, 2 tap, CO2 regulator and 2 sets of quick disconnects, kit I'm putting together. Total cost will be $350. Postage from Adelaide to Melbourne would be about $14. So for the same price as your LHBS you get an extra keg.

Only thing is there will be a 5 week delay before I get the taps. If you are interested in the set-up without the taps just PM me and we can haggle on a price.

Cheers
Mark

Crackers

I have a 6kg CO2 bottle and it lasts me around 6-9 months. I have just made a CPBF though so it wont last me as long now.
I managed to buy a bottle through a mate ;) so I don't pay any rent, well worth paying extra to get one. From recollection (not real accurate) it cost me $200-$300 but as I've had it 5 years now I've already saved my money.

Hoops

Wardy

definitely ring around and check a few different places. I bought a CO2 regulator on Ebay for $16 and it's in brand new condition.
I have 18L kegs and as Hopeye does just put the left over in stubbies for when I go somewhere - or you could just brew 36L and fill 2 kegs :D

Hoops

hoops,
just wondering about the co2 bottle u got, how do you fill it up?
im renting a VT size through BOC atm...
My LHBS guy doesnt rent his but he didnt say anything more than that.

pioneergangsta

I get my bottle refilled from the guy I bought the bottle from - just swap 1 for 1 ( couple of bucks extra).
This is how he does it.....he owns heaps of bottles and sells them as needed. However he only rent 1 or 2 bottles. When he gets an empty one he takes it back to Liquide Air and swaps it 1 for 1. (they don't check serial numbers)
I haven't checked it out myself but you could probably hire a bottle, then take back your empty in 2-3 weeks and only pay 1 months rent? or hire 1 bottle between a few mates/HB club that have bottles and split the hire cost.
I would hit up your LHBS guy and see how they're running things.

I would check out Justin's setup here using a fire extinguisher

Hoops

MAH said:
Wardy

I posted in another thread (My Keg Set-Up) some details of a 2 keg, 2 tap, CO2 regulator and 2 sets of quick disconnects, kit I'm putting together. Total cost will be $350. Postage from Adelaide to Melbourne would be about $14. So for the same price as your LHBS you get an extra keg.

Only thing is there will be a 5 week delay before I get the taps. If you are interested in the set-up without the taps just PM me and we can haggle on a price.

Cheers
Mark

What type of taps do you get?

Cheers,
Jase

Latest posts

Back