Speaker Type Connection For Stc1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was going to mount one of these speaker type connections on the back of my jiffy box that houses my stc1000. Then I could swap between the standard probe for use in my fermentation fridge and the extra probe I've just brought which I will mount in a T piece in my Hex return line for controlling the Hex temp.
I know I could buy another STC1000 but I don't generally brew more than once a month so don't really need two.

Would there be any problems with this with regards to the temp probe losing accuracy due to more resistance etc??

107sharp.2.jpg

The sensor is a resistive type, so any added resistance will affect your readings. If the connector & wires are clean, the added resistance won't be enough to worry about.
Added resistance/connectors becomes more of an issue in long cable runs & using thermocouples
If in doubt, do an ice bath/boiling water check & add/subtract any error you get.

I have a disconnectable probe with my STC unit. I've used RCA socket's and plugs. Works very, very well.

I have a socket installed on the back of the jiffy box which runs to the back of the stc. The probe is in a copper tube (very ghetto) thermowell sitting in the mash. At the top of the thermowell, is a compresssion fitting, and in the back of the comp fitting is a brass plug with another socket installed. Joining this socket and the socket at the back of the jiffy box, is the remainder of the probe cable with an RCA plug on each end.

Works brilliantly.

I have a disconnectable probe with my STC unit. I've used RCA socket's and plugs. Works very, very well.

I have a socket installed on the back of the jiffy box which runs to the back of the stc. The probe is in a copper tube (very ghetto) thermowell sitting in the mash. At the top of the thermowell, is a compresssion fitting, and in the back of the comp fitting is a brass plug with another socket installed. Joining this socket and the socket at the back of the jiffy box, is the remainder of the probe cable with an RCA plug on each end.

Works brilliantly.
LOL good idea with the RCA sockets. The probe for my HLT is connected via a 3.5mm headphone jack. Only a few bucks, cut it in half, and there you go.

I used RCA sockets with my Tempmates too. Worked very well. In the end I didn't bother with my pair of STC-1000s that I built

I've got one hooked up with a head phone jack, and another with speaker terminals. Both work too easy. The speaker terminal was a lot easier to hook up, as I found the headphone jack terminals hard to solder.

I even tested it before and after against my trusty calibration thermometer, and found after adding the speaker terminals no change in the reading.

QldKev

I used RCA sockets with my Tempmates too. Worked very well. In the end I didn't bother with my pair of STC-1000s that I built

What are you doing with them? I was just thinking about getting another couple to dedicate to the HLT and HEX pot..

Thanks gents, will give it a crack.
Saves me buying another STC which I dont really need. Even if I do brew with a batch in the fermenter I doubt that a few hours without temp control is going to make a difference.

Out of interest, what was the other probe you bought Truman?

I share a controller with a couple of probes. Using polarised in-line connectors sealed at the cable entry.

Toward the end of the boil with 15 min to go, disconnect the HEX controller probe in the HEX wort out.

DSCF8886.jpg

and connect to the probe in the wort out of the plate chiller.

ChillerSmall.jpg

Isolation switches allow the devices being controlled (heating elements in the HLT and HEX) to be switched off, controller used simply as a temp monitor.

BrewRigMkIV1_3.jpg

Screwy

THIS may have been a good place for this?

Mods?

there are starting to be quite a number of STC1000 topics is all, for new users searching for info it is getting a little crowded ;)

What are you doing with them? I was just thinking about getting another couple to dedicate to the HLT and HEX pot..

I use two tempmates for fermentation control. I built two STC units for gifts

I was thinking the same, but seems that PID units are around the same price on Ebay now so they might be a better option for the HEX.

6451491243_b00a6c0a3a_m.jpg
6451494337_1357d9dbf2_m.jpg

I made my STC box with this connection and have not had any issues. I wanted my box so I could pull all the cords/plugs out so I could easily move my Keezer around when I need to.

Back