Sparkie Needed: Wiring Up A Beerbelly "broad Range Temp Controlle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anc001

Reaction score
On Wayne's advice I went for one of these
http://beerbelly.com.au/measuring.html Broad Range Temperature Controller
instead of a fridgemate. I have a fridgemate I've wired up, but the wiring diagram in this one is not as clear to me, so I thought I would see if one of you chaps with the appropriate skills can help me out.
Unfortunately I don't have a sparky mate to do it for me so I appeal to you adelaide AHBers for aid!

will do so this evening.

I have something similar, mine is a PID controller and it is an amazing little device for its size with very good accuracy. It should run on AC or DC with the polarity marked if you use a DC supply The thermocouple wires are probably red and white and red goes to the positive terminal. It has a DC output for a SSR and two relays capable of handling three amps. These relays can be an alarm function or any other type control. If your current requirements are greater than 3 amps you would need to series wire another larger relay or a SSR for AC.
The instructions are a little cryptic written in chinglish so you will need to probably read them over a few times to get the gist of the operation.

:icon_cheers:

I'm sure it'll be a great unit when its got all the wires in the right terminals, which is where you chaps come in.
:unsure:

:D

post-12955-1257502872_thumb.jpg

pretty sure this is the one, though I'll check to be sure.

The fridgemate diagram I followed showed each wire in the appropriate colour, which was tops for a newb like me.
It and the tutorials made it really easy, whereas with just that diagram to guide me I'm rather uneasy in comparison!

post-12955-1257502872_thumb.jpg

pretty sure this is the one, though I'll check to be sure.

The fridgemate diagram I followed showed each wire in the appropriate colour, which was tops for a newb like me.
It and the tutorials made it really easy, whereas with just that diagram to guide me I'm rather uneasy in comparison!

1 & 11=Active (from socket)

2=Switched Active (to fridge)

12=Neutral (from socket and parallel the fridge neutral)

Dude, exact same position, that link above was about the 1 i bought from Beerbelly, goodluck fixin that up and if you do please share with me! I've just been lazy and in the meanwhile just dun a lager as the fridges warmest setting is a constant 12C :)....must get onto installin the temp controller when the lagers dun though!

On Wayne's advice I went for one of these
http://beerbelly.com.au/measuring.html Broad Range Temperature Controller
instead of a fridgemate. I have a fridgemate I've wired up, but the wiring diagram in this one is not as clear to me, so I thought I would see if one of you chaps with the appropriate skills can help me out.
Unfortunately I don't have a sparky mate to do it for me so I appeal to you adelaide AHBers for aid!
BeerBelly should be able to point you in the right direction, or refer you to some one who has done it already, give Wayne a email/PM.I have found him to be helpful in the past.
GB

have exchanged a handful of emails with Wayne.

He wants to help, but won't because of the nature of the problem ( advice=liability etc)

Go to Jaycar and buy this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this. If you can solder you should also buy this and this for connecting the sensor cable to the unit, otherwise just get this to pass the cable through. The tool will handle the stripping of the wires (both the outer and inner insulation) as well as crimping the connectors onto the wires. Cut holes in the box for the mains connectors, the sensor cable and the controller, using a dremel or drill and hacksaw. Check that they fit. Remove the fuse holder tab from the black IEC connector, pop the fuse in and reassemble. Wire as per the attached diagram. Use the strippers to remove the outer sheathing, and remove about 6mm from the inner insulation for each link. Try not to make the links too long (messy) or too short (won't reach). Put spade connectors on the ends of each cable that will go to the black IEC socket, and forks onto each cable that will go into the screw terminals. The handle of the stripper has a crimper for this - just slide the crimp connector onto the cable, put the neck of the connector in the groove marked on the diagram and squeeze down. You might need a few practice attempts, but it's not too fiddly. In the wiring diagram, where you've got a join in the cable, just use two forks and put both cables on the same screw terminal, back to back. They'll make a solid connection.

Temp_controller_wiring.JPG

TH1827.JPG

Sounds like may may also need this, this and this

credit_card.jpg

Batz :lol:

have exchanged a handful of emails with Wayne.

He wants to help, but won't because of the nature of the problem ( advice=liability etc)

Actually as you know I'd asked you pop back in so I could sort it out for you, which is fair enough I think. I can show you a unit that has already been properly wired up, but I'm not going to attempt to provide advice via email/public forum or over the phone simply because it's not appropriate or legal or in either of our interests to do so - you won't brew much if you're dead as a doornail will ya.. ;) . Regardless, I do think it's a little unfair to state on a public forum that I won't help when that's not the case. I'm perfectly willing to help, but only in person - it's a lot harder for mistakes to be made that way.

Sorry mate, misunderstanding.
The reply I got from Amanda today said:
Because it is an electrical device we aren't able to advise on the installation of it.
I assumed this meant that your offer of help had been rescinded by the more practical side of the partnership!
;)

EDIT
Lethalcorpse, thanks mate I will digest the instructions you have provided and get back if I have any queries.

Sorry mate, misunderstanding.
The reply I got from Amanda today said:

I assumed this meant that your offer of help had been rescinded by the more practical side of the partnership!
;)

Bah.........I can still show you one that's put together......I just think that email/phone advice is a recipe for disaster resulting in a fried brewer :D
The offer is still open.

thanks mate, sorry if it sounded like I was having a go, dear people of the interwebs have no doubt that beerbelly folks are very helpful even to an annoying bugger like myself, lol.

The diagram provided by lethal corpse is just what I was hoping for (AHB you've done it again!).
That should get me started, when I've got it together I'll have someone who knows what they are doing look at it before I turn it on.

I might be in to get some grain in the week or two anyway so we can have a natter about it then and having a look at one that is wired up would certainly be useful if I haven't got around to it by then.

i think jaycar like the HB shops sell kits/parts and require (request - ask?) you to use a licensed electrician. Of course they expect we wont however we should and if we dont its basicly our fault.

i wire mine however have a few trade mates that i have look over it before its put to use - better to be safe i guess

I just bought a reptile heater controller all wired with plugs($30) and swapped two wires around. Works a treat.

cheers

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back