Spargin With Braumeister 50l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am doing something and I am not sure if it is optimal.

I use the Braumeister 50L system. When making session beers (45-50G) I setup the mash with ~47 to 50 liters and use 11kg of malt.

After the mash I sparge between 18 and 24 liters at ~75 C to get to a total of 55 liters post boil (sometimes I mash overnight, then I have to sparge 24 liters as I lose extra liquid).

I sparge that amount of water fairly fast in 4 bulks (the pot I use takes 6 liters). Total time is about 30 minutes. I sparge into a big bucket and add it pre-boil. I lose some sugar but I am not too concerned about that as with that big amount of water, I should wash most of it out, I assume.

What do you guys think about that?

Cheers
Mike

Um, what's the question? :huh:

Reading your post I'd be more concerned with mashing overnight...

I wouldn't be concerned with overnight mash! I do it quiet often. I pretty much sparge the same with 22 litres when I'm doing a 50.

Always like some extra head

So with mashing overnight, I guess you'd just set the braumeister to hold at main sacc temp, and then insulate it so it wouldn't have to heat very frequently.

Hmn, maybe i'll give that a try with mine. I'll measure how much power it uses over that period.

Do you program it to go for multiple hours, or do you cancel the program and whack it into manual mode?

micz said:
I lose some sugar but I am not too concerned about that as with that big amount of water, I should wash most of it out, I assume.

What do you guys think about that?

Cheers
Mike
If you are not concerned then why do you care what we think?
I generally dump 2-3 L at a time on top of the filter plate, lots of little bits will sparge more effectively. You can check it for yourself by testing the gravity of 5L sparging versus smaller amounts. A refractrometer is handy for this. Test the sparge and tip it into a bulked second bucket or into the BM. Test it, it might make no significant difference for you, then again maybe it will but It depends on whether you could be bothered sparging in smaller amounts or as you say you are not concerned about losing some sugars by sparging in larger volumes.

Back