Sparge volumes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Nick667

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a Brewzilla and I think I am getting bitterness from sparging with to much water and extracting tannins. I am getting quite good numbers over all but always to bitter. Is there a simple rule of thumb for sparge volume and grain weight or mash volume without setting up the calculators in Brewfather. I am mashing in 23lts of water with around 5kg grain and sparging with 15lts water at 75C. I am getting good efficiency of 75- 80% not doing PH. No infections.

MHB

Reaction score
Not really, sparge volumes can vary from 0 to somewhere around 4 times the grain mass (~20L in your case).
I think a better question would be how to stop the extraction of tannins. That’s actually a lot easier than you might think.
Make sure it’s under 80oC and slightly Acidic. Without knowing anything about Auckland water, Alkalinity will make the tannin extraction worse; if your water is alkaline it will cause serious problems.
Won’t take much Acid (I prefer Lactic) and you can get a decent pH meter for less than $50, a pretty small expense and you can get the right answer every time.
Mark

Nick667

Reaction score
Not really, sparge volumes can vary from 0 to somewhere around 4 times the grain mass (~20L in your case).
I think a better question would be how to stop the extraction of tannins. That’s actually a lot easier than you might think.
Make sure it’s under 80oC and slightly Acidic. Without knowing anything about Auckland water, Alkalinity will make the tannin extraction worse; if your water is alkaline it will cause serious problems.
Won’t take much Acid (I prefer Lactic) and you can get a decent pH meter for less than $50, a pretty small expense and you can get the right answer every time.
Mark
Thanks Mark, I never had this problem with biab and I am starting to wonder if the temp is correct on the Brewzilla, will check. How much lactic acid do you use? Is there a calculation?
Nick.

MHB

Reaction score
Yes there is a calculation, but it requires you to know the pH of your sparge water. So you're back to needing a pH meter...
Mate, a decent pH meter and a good thermometer are pretty basic brewing equipment and will make your life a lot easier.
Mark

Grok

Reaction score
Too right there MHB, even a little tear off book of paper pH test strips would be better than nothing!

Nick667

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will get one next week and Brewfather has a calculator, it really does taste like tannins.

Latest posts