Sparge Arms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markws

Reaction score
I preparation to moving towards AG brewing I would be interested to hear from any AHB's what type of sparge arm/system they are using - including the components required, cost and if there is any benefit in using commerically available systems such as Phil's sparge arms.

Cheers

MWS

markws said:
I preparation to moving towards AG brewing I would be interested to hear from any AHB's what type of sparge arm/system they are using - including the components required, cost and if there is any benefit in using commerically available systems such as Phil's sparge arms.

Cheers

MWS
[post="74725"][/post]​

Hi markws,

Overtime I have experimented with various methods of introducing the sparge water to the mash and I have found that the easiest method ( and cheapest) is to just let the water run onto the top of the mash by the way of a piece of plastic tubing held close to the centre of the tun and just below the top surface of the mash liquid.
If you mash out with "hot" water you will have a good volume of liquid above the grain bed and if you adjust the outward flow from the tun into the kettle to equal the inward flow from the HLT (not too fast tho") it will work fine without disturbing the grain bed.
I used to let it run onto a plastic lid so as to help "spread" the water, but I found no gain with it so I now give it a miss.
The other method you might consider is to "batch sparge" or even "no sparge" if your tun is big enough.
Good luck with your venture into AG.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back