Sparge Arms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Who out there uses sparge arms? Where from and how much?

:eek:

Can You make 'em

I use a GMK special method. A bit of copper pipe, bent in a coil (small) with small hole's drilled into it, the water dribbles out of the holes in the coil and it workes a treat (it was left over from the wort chiller i made so even better)

ideally you should be able to sparge with the lid of the mashtun shut

that would require a sight glass on the tun, to avoid overfilling the tun with water

I need some sort of sparge arm for my 51L esky mashtun

Jovial monk

Check out this topic here which shows one I built a while back.

I did a second version that had the water in line going to a t-piece in the centre of the tube. That one worked better.

I've been batch sparging lately.

I also saw at the hardware shop the other day a fitting for watering cans that is a t-piece with small holes in it that would work well. I came dissassembled in a box. Check the water irrigation section at Bunnings.

Beers,
Doc

gday doc
just out of curiosity how do you find batch sparging compared to fly sparging.
from what ive read the jury is out on efficiency between the two.some say fly is better others say batch is of equal efficiency to batching.
im considering trying both with the same recipe just to see if there is any noticeble
difference.in the new year of course.

cheers in sparging
big d

I am going to use these little stainless spray nozzels , have a few spare if anyone wants one.
One would cover a Rubbermaid cooler , BSP thread 316 Stainless

batz mmmaaaaaaate
ordinarily i would say oooo pick me pick me
however i have seen these at a place i spend 12 hours a day at 4 days on 4 days off.wink wink.
let me /us no how they go before i lighten the above said place of spraying objects that can become useful in an ag endevour.

I buy all mine big d from......arr......arr.......the shop?? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Sorry about the piccy to many mary pixies
New camera :ph34r:

dont tell me you shop at mitre 11 as well batz :rolleyes:

ps its bloody windy up this way at the moment thanxs to debbie(cyclone)

grain and grape sell the following size phils sparge arms for...
7 1/2 " $32-95
8 1/2 " $33-95
10" $34-95
12" $37-95

hope this helps

SpargeArmSml001.jpg

Doc thats just awe inspiring :eek: Just perfect for the (esky) mash tun.

Top Work

I haven't noticed much difference between fly and batch sparging with reference to efficiency.
If anything I'm getting more efficiency but at the same time I have how fine I crack my grain etc.
The reason I changed is effort. I find it much easier to simply fill up the mash tun and set the run-off to the speed I want, rather than making sure the inflow matches the outflow etc.
What made me change ? Trying to get the grain bed up to mash out temp is what got me going down the batch sparge road. Now at the end of the mash I simply fill up the MLT and let it settle, drain and repeat. Much easier.

Beers,
Doc

Good Day
I have two Phil's sparge arms that have been kept in the cupboard for 3+ years. I found the water cooled down too much by the time it reached the mash surface even if the water was near boiling. I just syphon the water onto the surface (very little disturbance) then open the tap and syphon the wort into the boiler. Shut the tap when the water is just above surface then repeat the process and so on.

Latest posts

Back