Sparge advice - new system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I have put together a two tier HERMs brewery that I plan on fly sparging with eventually by gravity feeding the sparge water to the MLT and pumping out through the HX, back-letting up the boil kettle outlet and using the kettle valve to control the pace.

I have a few parts missing to do this yet and whilst I understand what I've written, putting it into practice is overwhelming (given that I've cine directly from BIAB, no spage.

So my question is if I am to batch sparge for now, what are the steps?

Here's my understanding:

1. Cease HERMs recirculation after mash out
2. Pump entire MLT liquor volume to boil kettle
3. Gravity feed entire sparge volume from HLT to MLT
4. Recirculate through HERMS for ~10 mins and repeat step 2.

Am I missing anything? Would spitting the sparge into two equal batches help efficiency?

Cheers

Visual aide

image.jpg

Why not fly sparge (continuously) to kettle volume ?
I believe it will more efficient too.
You will have to adjust/restrict the pump flow to suit, this being your only drawback
Nev

Effectively, what you describe is a very slow batch sparge...

Fly sparging would be, well what I do is:

Start draining MT into kettle, while matching the output of the MT, with the input in to the MT from the HLT. So, as your kettle is filling and you HLT are filling/draining at the same rate - or more so, you MT level sits level until you HLT is dry - then drain your MT dry!

Make sense?

G'day Nev,

I do plan on continuously sparging, but as I have no valve after the pump output with which to control flow, I won't be able to match in/output effectively. In order to back-let the MLT output into the boil kettle valve, I need another Cam type A, which I'd rather get from the same manufacturer as the other cam locks, hence the delay and need to explore a batch sparge this weekend.

Or if you have a refractometer , drain untill you are at around 1.010....
I will say though, i underlet and i have a ball balve on my kettle AND on the out of my march pump...i think that you may want to consider it ...gives you more control with your pump , espcially during recirculation as you can slowly open the valve and make sure the pump doesn't suck too much and compact your grain bed , too early...
Of course , this is just in my opinion !
Cheers
Ferg

Cocko said:
Effectively, what you describe is a very slow batch sparge...

Fly sparging would be, well what I do is:

Start draining MT into kettle, while matching the output of the MT, with the input in to the MT from the HLT. So, as your kettle is filling and you HLT are filling/draining at the same rate - or more so, you MT level sits level until you HLT is dry - then drain your MT dry!
E
Make sense?

What sort of flow rate are your using Cocko?
fergthebrewer said:
Or if you have a refractometer , drain untill you are at around 1.010....
I will say though, i underlet and i have a ball balve on my kettle AND on the out of my march pump...i think that you may want to consider it ...gives you more control with your pump , espcially during recirculation as you can slowly open the valve and make sure the pump doesn't suck too much and compact your grain bed , too early...
Of course , this is just in my opinion !
Cheers
Ferg
I have just started to use this underletting technique.

A couple of questions ferg:
1. What flow rate are you using to drain the mash tun?
2. Do you recirculate after adding sparge water? If so for how long?
3. Flow rate when daring the mash tun of sparge water.

Cheers

iralosavic said:
Here's my understanding:

1. Cease HERMs recirculation after mash out
2. Pump entire MLT liquor volume to boil kettle
3. Gravity feed entire sparge volume from HLT to MLT
4. Recirculate through HERMS for ~10 mins and repeat step 2.

Am I missing anything? Would spitting the sparge into two equal batches help efficiency?

Cheers
I batch sparge and split the volume into two equal batch sparges, which does help rinse out more sugars. After I transfer to the kettle I drain half of my sparge water into the MLT then give it a good stir and start recirculation through the hex. I used to leave it for ten minutes but now I just wait until the wort runs clear then transfer to the kettle, rinse and repeat.

If you haven't already get yourself a three way valve. One of the best things Ive ever done. Leave your pump running, switch the valve and you've switched from recircualtion to kettle transfer instantly.

If you get yourself a valve to control output during recirculation then as Cocko pointed out you could fly sparge.

Batch sparging a system with a herms is counter productive because you disturb the grain bed and lose the clarity of your wort. The wort will remain clear if after mash out, you adjust the flow of your drain off to approx 1 litre per minute and control the sparge water coming in to the top of the mash at the same flow all the while maintaining liquor above the top of the grain.

When using my 3v herms I stir the mash again after the protein rest and then don't touch it again until I am tipping the spent grain out.

I also run the sparge water through the herms which is set at mash out temp to maintain sparge water temperature otherwise the temp of your sparge will slowly drop during the fly sparge.

If you are batch sparging then drain as quick as you like and then reset the mash by recirculating for probably 15 mins or so,and then drain the sparge.

I hope you understand my ravings :lol:

Cheers

Back