Spare extract tins = Black IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizrah

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

i got given some old extract tins, and wanted to try and see what i could whip up with them.

They are See pictures below:
1 x 1.7kg Tooheys Old (IBU:38ish @ 23L)
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Stout (IBU: unknown)
1kg LDME

i was thinking of whipping up a black IPA, with a fruity/citrusy dry hop to balance out the higher IBUs.

Probably a 23L batch with the following hop additions
10g Brooklyn @ 5min
30g Brooklyn @ DAY4

i put all these details into the brewersfriend calculator and it gives me about a 5.75% ABV

any ideas for improvement?

images.jpg

download.jpg

IanH's spreadsheet says for a tin of Morgan's Australian Old and a tin of Coopers Stout, you're looking at 89IBU
Add 2kg of DME (or 1kg DME and 1kg of Dex) and you have yourself a RIS
Personally I think it'd be too heavy on the dark malts for a black IPA

what sort of yeast would you recommend for a RIS? ive seen some online recommending 2 packs (2 x 10g) US05

Yep, definitely use 2 packs of dry yeast rehydrated
US05 will do the job, I like Nottingham
In the theme of Bribie's headbanger stout, I'd add a handful of your choice of aroma hops to the fermenter on day 4

What about an Imperial Black IPA?

You have the IBU - just a massive hop burst at the end to balance the malt and dark character. Aim for about 100 IBU and lots of late addition aroma. Some Malt Extract or a partial to bring the body back up.

How old are the tins of extract??

I brewed a summer ale with similar additions of Brooklyn at five minutes and as a dry hop and I didn't like the results. Nothing like the descriptions of the hop going around. It's high AA but not really high in the aroma or flavour. Just my experience from one packet.

hmmm, interesting @Coodgee, i have seen a little of this going around.

gap - the tins of extract are probably about 5 years old. not sure if the Morgans Old is still in production, at least not with that labelling.

i might chuck some dry hopping i trust under it, im thinking some mosaic or even some galaxy

Back