Spalt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only ever used the Spalt from Slovenia - very happy with the results....

I have only ever used the Spalt from Slovenia - very happy with the results....

You sure you're not thinking about Styrian Goldings, GMK. They're from Slovenia, but AFAIK Spalt is only from the Spalt region of Germany. Link.

I think they're a nice hop in an alt. Never used them in anything else though. Hmmmm. :)

Yep - your right tooo late at night....

Sorry... will need to pack myself off to bed and severly Chastise myself.

;-(

I thought that was Mrs. Kenny's job?

Hi all.

Ive just kegged a batch of stammtisch alt (fermented with us 05)

LHBS only had 35g of spalt so I added that at 45min plus a small addition of magnum at 60min to meet the bitterness target.

Ive read that spalt has a subtle slightly spicy flavour. The sample i tried was slightly spicy & slightly minty but i got a medicinal taste also. It was not unpleasant but i was just interested if any one else percieved similar flavour from this hop.
The beer was 3 weeks in primary so is still green & flat when tasted.

How would you describe Spalt flavour profile. (pellets from beerbelly not sure if spalt or select).

I bought a pound of it a while back and have been using it in various recipes. It's a little less neutral than say, magnum, my go-to bittering hop. It has a balanced, orangey aroma, great smooth bitterness and a clean noble flavour. Definitely worth a try in a few styles!

Nothing medicinal when I've used it Josh.

Could be something else - see how it turns out.

Ive been racking off onto it with honey ,was spalter select.. Using Magnum and Perle in mash to start with. I love it . It was about 25$ a kilo 2 years ago . just finished it last brew day.

thanks the replies guys.

sounds like ur a big spalt fan green lobster.

Nick. I will give the beer & big sniff once carbonated in search of those orange aromas.Still a bit of yeast in the sample i tasted so aroma will will prob change in next few weeks.

Manticle. Ive never had infection in my beer. the sample tasted very drinkable. 3 weeks in primary ok? Prob half the hop material ended up in fv.ok? what do you taste in spalt? thanks mate.

Medicinal is not always caused by infection (and not ever having one doesn't mean you can't get one). That said, it is entirely possible that you are detecting something you associate with medicinal that is coming from the spalt. It's not a flavour I associate with the hop myself but everyone has different palates and palates are informed by psychological factors (memory association etc).

Drinking an alt right now with spalt and tett. I get subtle orange and mandarin flavours (I also get orange with tett) - almost like an orange tea. Very light hint of resin - like chinook toned down by a factor of about 10,000. Very slight floral edge. Tiny hint of woodiness and that tobacco/earth you can get with high amounts of fuggles but again very, very subtle. I'm familiar with the spice descriptor and I get a feeling at the top of the tongue that reminds me of something like all spice but the flavour itself does not. I put it down to the sensation of the resin but I could be pulling myself.

It's why I love noble and noble type hops so much - they are wonderfully subtle, wonderfully delicate and yet massively complex and layered.

Back