Spalt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Pedigree
Traditional German land-race variety selected and grown in the area of the same name

Brewing Usage
Aroma

Aroma
Mild and herbal, with spicy, floral and fruit tones

Possible Substitutions

Typical Beer Styles
  • Bock

Additional Information

Only grown in the Spalt area, limited acreage

Alpha Acids
2.5 - 5.5%

Beta Acids
3.0 - 5.0%

Co-Humulone
22 - 29%

Total Oil
0.5 - 0.9 mL / 100g

Myrcene
20 - 35% of total oil

Humulene
20 - 30% of total oil

Caryophyllene
8 - 13% of total oil

Farnesene
12 - 18% of total oil

General Trade Perception
Traditional noble aroma hop with average bitter value and pleasant aroma
MOD: Description inserted by Lord Raja Goomba I. Original post is below:

I just realised that I have never used this hop and being a Noble I feel that I should give it a go. If u have used it what r your thoughts. I will use it for German style Lagers both light and dark.

Steve

I just realised that I have never used this hop and being a Noble I feel that I should give it a go. If u have used it what r your thoughts. I will use it for German style Lagers both light and dark.

Steve

Steve,

The only hop to use in an ALT, i love it

Rook

I used em in the couple of kolcshes I brewed last year. An excellent hop that i highly recommend.

I've used Spalt in a Koelsch and an Alt. Both have been very nice. I think the Spalt adds to the 'winey' characteristics.

Sorry, I'm not a very good judge of flavour/taste, so my reference to 'winey' may be way off the mark...

Only used it once in my partial Alt last year. Awesome.

I have some of this at home. What are people's thoughts on using it in a Pilsner in place of Saaz? Its one of the only hops that is supposedly a saaz substitute...

I have some of this at home. What are people's thoughts on using it in a Pilsner in place of Saaz? Its one of the only hops that is supposedly a saaz substitute...

T.D,

You have my address to send me a bottle after you have made it :icon_cheers:

Rook

A picture of young Oliver Twist Rook. :icon_chickcheers:

Steve, never used it myself but have tried a couple of really tasty alts from other brewers that had late additions of it. Seems to have a nice herbal/minty type of character that I reckon would make an interesting pils.

Warren -

some_more.jpg

Excellent substitute along other nobles like tettnang and hallertau.

I'm pretty sure MOO BREW has spalt in their pilsner and it's pretty good. I've used it in many brews and its great, unique flavour good for Alt Kolsch Hefeweizen and pils..

If any of you have tried the Moo Brew Pilsner, it is hopped exclusively with Spalt.
Make sure you differentiate between Spalt and Spalter select. They are not the same hop.

MFS.

Awesome hop for a tripel.

Whats the diff between Spalt and Spalter hops then?

None that I'm aware.

It's just a German suffix for region ie; Hallertau-Hallertauer, Tettnang-Tettnanger etc.

Warren -

Thats what I thought, maybe MFS needs to explain.

If any of you have tried the Moo Brew Pilsner, it is hopped exclusively with Spalt.
Make sure you differentiate between Spalt and Spalter select. They are not the same hop.

MFS.

Perhaps he means there's a difference between "Spalt" and "Spalter Select"??? I have no idea by the way! :lol:

Weren't there a couple of high alpha versions of these Euro hops coming out at one point - supposedly "similar" to their low alpha equivalents but higher alpha??? Maybe that is what the difference is here???

I didn't say between Spalt and Spalter, but between Spalt and Spalter Select. The latter is a new variety bred to replace Spalt, as is Hallertau Tradition which is NOT the same as Hallertau Mittlefruh.
Flavour is similar but not the same, IMO not quite as good...

MFS.

I didn't say between Spalt and Spalter, but between Spalt and Spalter Select. The latter is a new variety bred to replace Spalt, as is Hallertau Tradition which is NOT the same as Hallertau Mittlefruh.
Flavour is similar but not the same, IMO not quite as good...

MFS.

Right you are buddy. I get it now and your 100% correct. ;)

Steve

Back