Southern Cal Round Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
must be the season for travel. just got back from the US so thought i would share my collection.
001.JPG

Descutes Abyss, '06 Double *******, Port Old Viscosity, Port Hop 15, Russian River Pliny the Elder, and The Bruery Saison Rue.

only keeping two for myself as i have two trades of two bottles each with guys on BA. getting some murrays stout in return!

as a round up of the trip, well, i cant remember much :chug: :chug:
seriously, the beer selection and price is astounding compared to little old hobart.

Highlights:
-visiting The Bruery tasting room three weekends straight. did the taster tray twice and could not find one beer i wouldnt love to try again. their belgian pale humulus ambre had more hop character than most apas!
-getting to pizza port carlsbad on a friday night with the family (mind you we are italian so we know pizza). everyone was impressed with the food to the point that my uncle who used to run a restaurant was considering looking into opening up his own! and shark bite is now my favorite pizza beer.
-finding that bottle of the abyss (that one is a keeper :party: )
-catching up with Justin who has been in the US for a while. had lunch at the Stuffed Sandwich and we both sort of stood in shock and amazement at the cooler behind the bar. you could buy to drink in or take away. lucky for him (or unlucky maybe) that he lives nearby.
-visiting Stone for lunch and doing the brewery tour. had some '04 IRS which was silky smooth.
PtE.jpgbeer_list.jpg

Lowlights:
-Stone 12th anniversary stout. too much. too bitter, too much roast, too much alcohol. was looking forward to it, but disappointed.
-finding some dogfish 60 and 90 min ipas. the 60 was almost two years old and the 90 about 6 months. had never tried either but it was obvious they were way past their prime. should have checked those dates at the shop.

anyway since it was mainly a family visit (who knew i was related to so many boozers?) that about covers it. that will have to do for about two years before i can head back.
joe

Sounds like a great trip Joecast.
Didn't get to The Bruery on my last trip, but did get to try their beers at the San Diego Craft Brewers festival. The belgian pale humulus ambre is new and I've read a bit about it. Hopefully I'll be in SD again this year and will see if I can get up to Orange County for a visit to The Bruery, or find it in SD. Stone distribute for them in SoCal.

Doc

You will not be disappointed. Stone do distribute for them (as well as Russian River as seen by the cartons of Pliny the Elder) but getting to the tasting room is well worth it. Sitting in the brew house among the again barrels sets quite a nice atmosphere.
joe

Latest posts

Back