Sourcing Equipment For A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I am going to be building a mash tun and have been looking around at the various options for converting esky's. I have decided that I would prefer a round esky as it fits my long term plans better than a square one and have found a 36 litre for sale on the Goliath site, does this represent good value at just under $100 plus postage to Brisbane?
Part 2 of my question is mash sizes. I would probably never brew batches of more than 23L so would this size esky manage the grain bill for batches or would I need something bigger, I am pretty sure this would handle up to 10Kg but just want to confirm with you?

Another thing, where do you get your taps from? Bunnings?

PS there is a 63L cooler on the same site for $162, probably a bit more than I want to spend and probably too big.

You will find a 10 gallon more than ample for a 23 lt brew , in fact you could do double batches in a 10 gallon.

You could use a 5 gallon , I brewed 23lt batches with this for years , it can be a bit tricky with some big beers.

Palmer suggests smaller to retain the heat , but since I have moved to a 10 gallon I have not notice ant heat loss.

I am sure others will post what they use , I think going for the round water cooler type is the correct choice.

Batz

I purchased the exact same unit from Goliath. Has been excellent for me. Seems to hold the mash temp well.

I have allways received great service from Dave at Goliath too. I can reccomend it highly.

I got my mash tun - same unit for $80 in Brisbane last year at a camping store on the north side. Pickering st if i remember correctly

just ring around a few of the stores - i am sure they have them - but maybe the price has gone up - dont know

lou

Hi brizbrew,
I agree with Batz, the 36 litre will be excellent for all but the biggest of beers(barley wines etc) but you can still use it for those with a bit of pre planning.
I personally would not go any smaller if you want to do 23 litre batches although some will argue on this point.
A 36 litre size allows you to batch sparge if you wish and this will speed up your brew day.
IMO the round coolers are better ( be them a little more costly ) mainly because of the grain bed depth that is deeper in comparison to the rectangular eskys.
( I bet that comment will raise some attention and comments ) :unsure:
I have recently upgraded to a larger cooler ( from Goliath's ) and , like Batz, I have not noticed any drop in temp, even if I am only using a 5 kg grain bill for 23 litres.
If you plan to brew larger batches in the future then go for the bigger one, however if you are remaining with a 23 litre batch then the 36 litre will be ample.
Remember tho, if you go to larger batches then you need a bigger boiler, bigger starters, bigger fermenters etc etc.
Cheers and good luck

lou said:
I got my mash tun - same unit for $80 in Brisbane last year at a camping store on the north side. Pickering st if i remember correctly

just ring around a few of the stores - i am sure they have them - but maybe the price has gone up - dont know

lou
[post="63999"][/post]​

Chances are you will be able to find it cheaper. However, I don't mind spending a little more to spport the good HBS.

Batz said:
Palmer suggests smaller to retain the heat , but since I have moved to a 10 gallon I have not notice ant heat loss.
[post="63994"][/post]​
I reckon heat loss is overated. In fact one mashing protocol I commonly use is to start the sacc rest at 67 C and let it cool to around 63 (lid open). If you look at the temperatures that favour alpha and beta amylase as well as what bits of the starch chains they chomp down on, this is not so silly as it might sound.

i can help u with taps - but i only sell Stainless Steel as in SS threaded bulk head fitting connecting to a SS Ball Valve etc.
Also sell stock SS Nut and tails and SS T pieces that make SS braided and/or false bottom connections really easy.

The 36ltr is great - i have one - but you need to balance your system ie
35ltr HLT, 36 ltr mash tun - 50 ltr boiler.

However, i will be upgrading to 50ltrs soon as i want to brew big beers - Barley wines etc. i have 35ltr HLT, 36 ltr mash tun and a 75ltr boiler - hence i can handle the 50 ltr mash tun because the boiler is big enough.

Hope this helps you out.

Never one to miss an oportunity are you ken..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll give you 20 squid for all your old gear, when you upgrade, of course ;)

Crispy

At the moment I am using a 20L SS pot for boiling up around 10L of wort and topping up with cold water, I need to get a few things before I actually do a full boil. I have a couple of kegs which I am going to use one for a boil kettle but obviously I will need a means of heating it up quickly so I need a burner of high BTU's.
Basically what I am saying is I am going to get the bits as I can afford them but will not use them until I have completed the jigsaw, expensive hobby.

Cheers.

PS GMK How much do you want for the SS taps?

Perhaps I can help out you Brizbrew , or someone else starting AG

I used a 20 lt urn and a 5 gallon rubbermaid for ages when I began AG.

It works well , the 5 gallon is big enough for all but large grain bills , the 20 lt urn heats plenty of water for the mash in , then while the mash is happening reheat the sparge water.

I am willing to sell both these items , all you would require is a decent kettle

Urn works well could do with a polish I suppose

Batz

Oh
And the mash tun

All stainless , value , nuts , extention and brain manifold

$120.00 the lot

I am NOT interested in posting this stuff , collect or I could drop off too someone in the sunshine coast area when I am around that way.

I am interested mate, sounds like a good deal to me.

A few questions though, if you don't mind.

How long roughly does the urn take to heat 20L

What is a brain manifold?

Oh
And the mash tun

All stainless , value , nuts , extention and braid manifold

$120.00 the lot

I am NOT interested in posting this stuff , collect or I could drop off too someone in the sunshine coast area when I am around that way.

Ah, a BRAID manifold. LOL.

I was thinking, had you hit the wrong key and meant to say grain manifold or was a brain manifold a brand name. Glad that is cleared up.

Ok, I will be up your way in about a weeks time on a job. I am interested in buying the gear and will arrange something with you.

Back