Sourcing Co2 Cylinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
Currently I use a convereted fire extinguisher, but would love a cylinder with the proper valve etc. I've been trying to source cheap CO2 cylinders for quite a while and have contacted a number of companies.

Well it seems that peopel have found a way to get around the big companies, because we now have Air-Up and KegOnLegs (KOL) selling cylinders to the home brew market. Problem is, they are still pricey, particularly when you see how much these cylinders cost our US brew cousins and considering these guys will be buying from the same US manufacturer/wholesaler you would think they would be around the same price (plus cost of freight from US).

Now KOL sell Catalina cylinders, so I contacted them in the US. They put me on to their Australian distributor, who said he wouldn't sell in small lots, not even an AHB bulk buy would be enough. Supposedely KegOnLegs bought several hundred. He talked about the effort that KOL has gone to establishing a network of fill stations that will accept private cyclinders and didn't seem to want to get on the wrong side a customer buying in such bulk (and fair enough).

Now the other impression I got was that the US manufacturers are not putting in the Australian valves, so there does seem to be some extra time and expense in preparing them for the Aussie market, which could explain the extra cost we pay.

So at this stage it looks like you have the choice of the big companies, converted cylinder, or AU and KOL. The new kids on the block have been great, but I hope in the not too distant future we get a little more price competition.

Yes and before all you smart arses in Melbourne say anything we know you get a cheap deal on rentals and it's not a problem for you (just wait until those old steel cylinders are completely phased out ).

Oh and also a big sorry to our non city living brewers who would still find it hard to fill a privately owned cylinder even if they could buy one (except for the someone who has a large source of CO2 at work and has bought their own transfer hose to fill their bottle).

Cheers
MAH

MAH,

I have just got into kegging myself and the pricing of co2 rental in Melbourne has now sky rocketed to $129/year for cylinder rental.

I was wondering if you have any updates on sourcing cheaper co2 cylinders either locally or from overseas?

Do you know if cylinders bought overseas, say from morebeer.com or micromatic.com etc., is compatible with australian co2 regulators and meets australian standards? The prices in the US are considerable cheaper.

Cheers.

I have just got into kegging myself and the pricing of co2 rental in Melbourne has now sky rocketed to $129/year for cylinder rental.

Are they gold plated or something?

The local gas guys here in Ballarat charge me $50 a year for a steel D size. Their Aluminium ones are a lot more expensive (around the $130/ year) but as I don't need to move my cylinder, aluminium seemed like a luxury I didn't need.

I get mine from Bridges Wade in Ballarat

i thought, stuff it.... and went with the MKOL. As you said its a decent outlay, but you'll get good resale if and when you need to. So i thought best just to own my own and be done with it.

I'm with KoNG. Just pony up and do away with the angst.

Now the other impression I got was that the US manufacturers are not putting in the Australian valves, so there does seem to be some extra time and expense in preparing them for the Aussie market, which could explain the extra cost we pay.

Cheers
MAH

So why not leave them as they are and buy a US regulator,you'll notice they are cheaper than here as well.

Batz

I'm guessing that because the threads are different, you won't be able to have a US-threaded bottle re-filled here... plus the AS certification, etc...

I guess you *COULD* get around it by hiring a full BOC cylinder, decanting the liquid CO2 into your US-made cylinder with your own custom decanting hose and fittings, then return the BOC cylinder the next day...

So why not leave them as they are and buy a US regulator,you'll notice they are cheaper than here as well.

Hi Batz

Like others have said, it's because you would struggle getting a US bottle filled. Wrong thread and without the Aussie standards stamp of approval.

In the end I got lucky when my partner bought me MKOL unit for a birthday.

It stings a little when you look at the prices they pay in the US. Problem is that there is bugger all competion in Australia for the private gas bottle market, mainly due to the lack of refillers.

However in the current environment, the MKOL guys did a lot of work in establishing a netwrok of refillers which means we are in a position not to have to go through BOC et al, and for that they deserve a big thumbs up.

I'm very happy with my MKOL cylinder and would recommend them to anyone else. Not only is a good feeling to own your cylinder and not have to pay rent, but the bloke from MKOL has been very helpful. In SA there was only one refiller, who stopped providing the service. I had only just received my cylinder and the guy at MKOL offered to refund my money. Fortunately I found someone else to fill the bottle.

Good product, good service.

Cheers
MAH

MKOL was the obvious choice for me in sydney, plenty of 'swap and go' outlets for them near me and a few are refill outlets as well. The nice new bottle loks good too..!

My MKOL was the easiest option for me. Purchased from LHBS who is also a swap n go supplier. With it being outdoors under my carport it is chained and padlocked to my kegerator.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Kong and Steve

I notice that in Adelaide there are now 4 swap and go places. What is the deal with swap and go? My cylinder is nice and new and in good condition, do you get a comparable cylinder? What happens with the expiry date on your cylinder, do you get older bottles?

Cheers
MAH

Hi Kong and Steve

I notice that in Adelaide there are now 4 swap and go places. What is the deal with swap and go? My cylinder is nice and new and in good condition, do you get a comparable cylinder? What happens with the expiry date on your cylinder, do you get older bottles?

Cheers
MAH

Not sure yet MAH as i havent run out.
Cheers
Steve

Hi MAH,
i havent had to swap yet, my bottle is in A1 condition too! but at this point i would expect they all would be. I have kept the mesh protective sleeve on mine, so it wont get damaged at all.
I'd say i will be using the swap'n'go instead of the refill, s i'm hoping that i get a decent cylinder back when the time comes.
from what i recall, if you swap'n'go, you dont need to worry about the expiry checks as MKOL will take care of it.

I have a MKOL also. I'm pretty sure my LHBS is a swap place too. They also do the smaller airup cylinders, but I was persuaded by SWMBO to get the bigger MKOL.

A little off topic but didnt want to start a new thread, I am trying to get a new CO2 bottle before the weekend as mine has run out, does anyone know the code off of the side of the D size cylinder as the place where I want to get it said they require this.

I am a BOC customer

Any info would be great.

Incase they dont have it, does anyone know where in Adelaide ( Hills side) that stock the D size cylinders so I can just go and swap it over.

just getting prices today to start kegging, local boc dealer quoted me $135.36 rental +$84.37for gas, this was a G sized bottle (31kg). Reasonable i thought for the pleasure of beer on tap :beer:

Latest posts

Back