Sourcing a 3 output switch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a 3 outlet switch to control a 240v/10amp power feed. I don't mind if it's a rocker or rotatory style, but would prefer the latter. If it has a 4th position for off is also ok. I would prefer to use something that can handle the 10amp load, otherwise I could add in mechanical relays.

hmmm not sure you've given enough info, do you mean an ON-OFF-ON arrangement or you want to switch between 3 devices?

do a search on ebay for 4 position, rotary cam switch.....should be able to find plenty that will suit your needs for under $25 bucks....downside is that they come from hong kong. you could probably find the same kind of thing at your nearest lawrence & hanson shop....not sure if you still need to be a tradie to get stuff from them though or not....been a while since i last held an electrical license :D

MastersBrewery said:
hmmm not sure you've given enough info, do you mean an ON-OFF-ON arrangement or you want to switch between 3 devices?
As per OP, 3 devices, and having a 4th off position is optional.

chopchop75 said:
do a search on ebay for 4 position, rotary cam switch.....should be able to find plenty that will suit your needs for under $25 bucks....downside is that they come from hong kong. you could probably find the same kind of thing at your nearest lawrence & hanson shop....not sure if you still need to be a tradie to get stuff from them though or not....been a while since i last held an electrical license :D

No hurry so the wait from HK would be ok. The only think I read is the have a Ie rating of just 1.5amp, what ever the Ie rating means? Any chance you can link me to one?

Kev

If L&H have what you need I'm going there Monday and can pick one up for you.
Can send it with the beers.

Jaycar have stuff like that too.

I got a 3-way DPDT 15 A swtich from there a while ago. LED lit when the powers on.
It was probably $10 or less. And for a few $ extra it came with a IP54 (ish) rated plastic cover (water/electricity =worth it).

Edak said:
I like these guys, I have ordered from them in the past and they have been quick. Looks like it would work.
I've ordered heaps from them. I started with the 2Kw elements, and now I'm always on the look out for more. The $5 vouchers make it worth while

Truman said:
Kev

If L&H have what you need I'm going there Monday and can pick one up for you.
Can send it with the beers.
Thanks for the offer, I think L&H would be expensive. Don't let those boys at work drink my next beer :drinks:

treefiddy said:
Jaycar have stuff like that too.

I got a 3-way DPDT 15 A swtich from there a while ago. LED lit when the powers on.
It was probably $10 or less. And for a few $ extra it came with a IP54 (ish) rated plastic cover (water/electricity =worth it).

This would need to be DPTT, but I cannot find a Double Throw Triple Throw switch anywhere.

I've got 15 x DPDT LED 16A switches on order, cost me $18 posted. :)

QldKev said:
This would need to be DPTT, but I cannot find a Double Throw Triple Throw switch anywhere.

I've got 15 x DPDT LED 16A switches on order, cost me $18 posted. :)
Why double pole Kev? You only need switch the 240V active. SPTT would be fine, or have I missed something.

Screwy

Screwtop said:
Why double pole Kev? You only need switch the 240V active. SPTT would be fine, or have I missed something.

Screwy
Yes, SPTT would be ok, normally I like DP to switch both active and neutral but it's not required. I still cannot find an SPTT switches.

I would start with the local electrical wholesalers

John R Turk
Lawrence and Hanson
TLE

Back