Source for chili plants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
Next spring I'd like to find a source in SE Australia for plants of the following chili varieties: Poblano, Pasilla and Trinidad Perfume. The first two are available as seeds but I do not have a good place for starting chili plants from seed. I've never seen Trinidad Perfume in Australia; it's a mild habanero (really!) and very aromatic. Beautiful.

Suggestions?

Just had a sauce made from what I think was the Trinidad Perfume (sent over from Guadaloupe). Beautiful habañero/scotch bonnet flavour, much less heat. Love to find some myself to pump up the flavour in jerk, but keep it at a heat level my wife can eat.

Mr Wibble said:
Poblano seeds take ages to to germinate. They take weeks, so hang in there.

Do you have a sunny windowsill ?
I don't have much room in full sun in late winter, and without central heating the nights get awfully cold for chili germination, but if I can't source plants I'll try again.

Mardoo said:
Just had a sauce made from what I think was the Trinidad Perfume (sent over from Guadaloupe). Beautiful habañero/scotch bonnet flavour, much less heat. Love to find some myself to pump up the flavour in jerk, but keep it at a heat level my wife can eat.
The Trinidad Perfumes I used to buy at an Iowa farmer's market had almost no heat at all. I'd stuff them with cheese (Halloumi would be good) and bake. Didn't try them in sauces, but should have.

The selection at Bunnings and. the like is improving every year, but still tends to either completely mild or very hot, when there are so many flavours in between. If you've been to Mexico, you've seen that. .

Oh yeah. Ten years in New Mexico with many trips to Mexico. Chile is far, far more than just heat.

Careful buying seeds off ebay.

I bought some Scotch Bonnet seeds which I have lovingly germinated and tended to daily, after they were about 1/2 foot high I noticed they looked a lot different to my habaneros. Turns out they are Jalapenos.

There goes my plans for hot sauce. Good scam though, given ebay's waiting period for claims is too short to be caught out selling the wrong seeds.

Generally chillies like it hot and humid. They hate the cold. So if you even get a plant it will struggle <15C.
I would love to grow hops but they won't produce a worthwhile crop in my climate.
You grow me some hops and I will grow you whatever chilli you want;)

Chillies are a ******* to sprout.
Buy a heat mat and have a cover over it.

Those perfume sound good but a little weak.
Go th Hab

Seeds are the only choice for more exotic choices. (Careful sourcing). Temp control nursery to raise the little fellas. Kept between 20 to 30c and can take up to 6 weeks to germinate. I can vouch for that 6 weeks thing. Give them longer than that if you can.
Oh and the best seedling medium is that coco stuff?. (Ground up coconut husks).

I'm growing chili's and habs now. Tons of green fruit on the chili's that I'm waiting on to turn red.

I grew them from seed. They germinated in about 10 days (at least some of them did). I soaked the seeds overnight before planting. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Can't tell you what variety they are. It was a random grab on rainy summer day. Tomatoes are out of control now :)

I source my seeds from overseas France UK and USA if buying on eBay check out the negatives and positives, same as anything being bought off eBay, as suggested above heat mat and coco coir seed raising mix and capsicums and chili's are as easy to grow as anything else.
In the cool and temperate districts best grown in a pot which can then be put under cover during winter months, they don't like cold damp weather.

Trinidad Perfume is there any reason seeds are not sold in Australia would think there would be resale of seeds harvested from plants from imported seeds .

There is a link above from DS post that I think sell them. I used those guys before. Good service.
If you are importing seeds make sure you have the right declarations because if you get caught you will get life in jail.
Maybe not jail but you get a slap on the wrist and get put on a list for environmental vandals who don't care about our bio security.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/131354895370?_mwBanner=1

I just ordered some. Because I'm keen to try. I will send you a couple plants when they are up no probs.

Hopefully im not too late to this conversation, but i love growing chillis but there are a few things to remember.
1. They take 2 weeks to germinate.
2. This one is hard but it needs to be in soil with a temp of 22c+.
This is hard with the weather depending on where you are. I have found making or buying a little greenhouse and put in on your window shelf or above your fridge. give it a week and they will have started, put them on a window in the sun, then transfer directly to your place of planting, dont hesitate transplanting them early, you want to avoid damaging or touching the roots as this will stunt them in thier growth.

Yep. The Hippy Seed Co are really great and cheap.

Never had an issue with there seeds.

They also do there own varieties thru cross pollination.

There are some youtube clips of Neil ( the owner ) eating Scorpian, Bhuts, reapers etc... Good viewing

Latest posts

Back