Sour Taste!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
A quick question, my last 2 brews have had a slight sour (tart) taste, and I cant pin point what maybe causing it <_< any ideas? My sanitation is spot on, I'm thinking it might be the water quality.

BarneyG said:
A quick question, my last 2 brews have had a slight sour (tart) taste, and I cant pin point what maybe causing it <_< any ideas? My sanitation is spot on, I'm thinking it might be the water quality.
Heya Barney,
All-grain? extract?
D

I've gotten sour tastes with the last two extract brews I did. An old can of coopers draught and a cascade imperial pale ale, both using the kit yeasts. I blame the yeast in the packs, it was the first time I'd used a dry yeast in over 12 months, and I think my sanitation was up to scratch too. They were disgusting, and in line with the Bavarian topic I DID throw these ones out.

Cheers, Justin.

Both Kits, using DME and Liquid Wyeast, primed with DME aswell. Maybe it could be the malts in the cans :unsure:

Was the second one more tart than the first??

Have you got a black tap in your fermenter???? Or a "wear" mark in the white/opaque one???

If so..I'd put it to that

Hmmm, I do have a black tap, the rubber grommet looks in good nick. The tartness is roughly the same. I think I'll just put it down to crappy can malts.

I grabbed a black tap off the shelf the other day and have just used it in a secondary ferment. What have I done wrong?

The black tap reference is due to the fact of its where I got my first infection (Ohhhh). Couldnt work out where it was going wrong. Knocked the tap apart , and the SLUDGE that was hiding in there :eek: :eek:

Back