Sour taste to day old cubed porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
Just opened my cubed porter to pour into fermenter. I took the OG in my little dropper which I then tasted. Normally I'm used a nearly sickly sweet taste. This tasted sour? Is this normal? Grains are Pale malt, Brown, crystal & choclate.

I guess a sort of vinegar sour.

Sounds like a Lacto infection, was the cube swollen? Or was there some left over wort in the dropper that had soured then dried out?

The dropper was spotless and sterilised if anything a little too much starsan. The cube was contracted. I only brewed on Sunday. I drew the wort straight out of the cube which only just cooled overnight to 21c. Maybe its the bitterness of the Fuggles. I mostly do APA's.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Is there a tap on the cube or other way to draw off a sample without risking infection? Doubt it's the hops (not a fan of Fuggles, but wouldn't ever describe them as sour) or astringency from the roasted grains so sounds like the cube got infected, the dropper was contaminated or your taste was temporarily way off. Hopefully it’s one of the last 2, but if you can taste the fermenting beer now you might be able to put your mind at rest[/SIZE]

Agree with Andrew, if you say possibly too much Star san, depending of the dimensions of your dropper, it might just be that. Would be more lemon sour than vinegar, though in combination with the wort that might change.

I'd just give it another try and go from there.

I would advise Don't Panic

As seen on a movie on the internet - "Its in there now"

Let it go and taste as it ferments :)

If it is too much Starsan it should just ferment out. Apparently the yeast can make use of the components of the Starsan according to the Brew Strong episode with the 5-Star owner or chemist, (can't remember which).

Lacto takes a fair while to take hold. How long was it in the cube?

Mardoo said:
If it is too much Starsan it should just ferment out. Apparently the yeast can make use of the components of the Starsan according to the Brew Strong episode with the 5-Star owner or chemist, (can't remember which).
Sounds like too much starsan in the wine thief anyway which will be no problem at all.

manticle said:
Sounds like too much starsan in the wine thief anyway which will be no problem at all.
That was my thought to Manticle, I've left starsan in my dropper and it's dried out, when I used it next the wort tasted acidic.

Latest posts

Back