Sour Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slight

Reaction score
I]'m planning on making a stout tomorrow so I took 100 grams of 75% ale malt / 25% roasted barley and added it to 250mls of water in a saucepan. Heated it to 68, left for twenty minutes then returned and raised it back up again. 45 mins all up.

I then added a tablespoon of dry ale malt/roast barley to the mix and covered it with glad wrap.

The problem is, I didn't go to the sanitary lengths I usually go with when brewing beer (I was in a rush). All the equipment was clean enough for everyday food handling but not fully sterilised.

Since I am aiming for an infection, does that matter at all? =)

I *think* to get a sour mash the mash must be no hotter than 30C? I would add another handful of whole pale malt to your little mash now that it is cool.

You want a lactobaccillus infection, so presume you should have sterilised everything, but keeping it over 60C for 20 mins or so which you did do would have done the job.

Mind you, I have not done a sour mash, but think the above is correct

Jovial Monk

lacto works best if you keep it between 35 and 45 I think. add some more dry grains as jovial suggests, supposedly you get lacto from the husks of the malt.
or you can try out a bit of yoghurt - i havent done that but apparently it can work.

i wouldnt worry about sanitising things when youre mashing, youre going to boil it all later arent you? or are you making a boilfree berliner weisse-stout?

Latest posts

Back