Sour Mash Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum done any Sour mash brewing?

If so, how and what were their results?
Are there any other implications involved?

I want to make a stout like guiness - and therefore need that slight sour tang to it.
Here is a link that describes a recipe using a sour mash.

http://www.byo.com/recipe/1209.html

I was thinking of using this method in a stout recipe.

Basically - it involves mashing some base malt at 66C for 2-3 days prior to brew day in a sealed container so that it goes sour.
On brew day you mix the sour mash in with the rest of the grist and mash as per normal.

Thanks in Advance.

Looking forward to the replies.

Which version of Guinness do you reckon has been soured? In draught guinness in Perth and in widgeted cans I taste a dryness but not a sourness. Am I trying the wrong version or am I just not picking it up?

The sourness is in draught guiness and in the widget cans...

GMK said:
Has anyone on the forum done any Sour mash brewing?

If so, how and what were their results?
Are there any other implications involved?

I want to make a stout like guiness - and therefore need that slight sour tang to it.
Here is a link that describes a recipe using a sour mash.

http://www.byo.com/recipe/1209.html

I was thinking of using this method in a stout recipe.

Basically - it involves mashing some base malt at 66C for 2-3 days prior to brew day in a sealed container so that it goes sour.
On brew day you mix the sour mash in with the rest of the grist and mash as per normal.

Thanks in Advance.

Looking forward to the replies.
Ken,
I have a Lambic in the making that was intentionally soured. Belive me NO GUINNESS has malt that has been soured for three days in it.
I think WarrenW aptly named the aroma as LARKS VOMIT (butyrate, butyric acid).
It doesnot dissipate with the boil or aging.
Why not simple add a touch of lactic acid to to the finished beer?
D

Your spot on Darren. What Guiness (and CUB at Abbotsford) do is produce a special lacto fermentation that is blended back in to the finished beer. The culture for this ferment is a tightly controlled product and is sent out from Ireland when required.

Trying to sour off the malt is unlikely to produce a great sourness in any event - any lactic acid produced will be consumed in the buffering "stage" after mashin. the lactic acid suggestion sounds the best compromise.

Still dont know why the local Guinness tastes so different to the Dublin produced drop though...

Wes.

where do you get Lactic Acid from then...

When is the best time to add it - and approx how much?

I must admit - after Dareen's comments - the lactic acid is sounding much better.

GMK said:
where do you get Lactic Acid from then...

When is the best time to add it - and approx how much?

I must admit - after Dareen's comments - the lactic acid is sounding much better.
I'm not sure where you would get it from. Chemist maybe!

I have not done it myself. I guess it would be best added to the finshed beer.

How much...Just a little bit (one drop)!

Beware, adding acid to beer can be dangerous.

Only use FOOD-GRADE acid.
Some processes used to produce chemicals CAN leave behind toxins (lead, mercury, cadmium, you get the picture!).

Acids can also dissolve teeth very quickly. That nice ACID bite in your stout could be eating your teeth away!

be careful

This sounds way TOO DEEP for this brewer.

Perhaps the Cons and Risks are outweighing the Benefits.

Back