Sour beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just bottled the oude bruin that was in the barrel that stu and i share. its young but tasty. filled with a red ale to make a flemish red.

Drinking my first HB'd Sour and loving it.
It's a really basic Pale Ale base kettle soured (based on the Dr Lambic Method) with WLP677 then fermented out with S04
9 IBU's of Mandarina Bavaria, 15g Vic secret dry hop.
Smidge of French oak chips in the cube for a few days and a jar of cherries added to the FV once fermentation was well underway.

It's more tart than sour, finishes dry with good head retention. Around 4.2% ABV would be smashing on a hot summers afternoon.
Nothing like I had hoped for but a welcome surprise.
View attachment 106352
Cheers
looks bloody great I need to do one, I love a slightly Tart beer

Spewin! I'll be on a family holiday.
...the sacrifices one has to make.

just bottled the oude bruin that was in the barrel that stu and i share. its young but tasty. filled with a red ale to make a flemish red.

What size is your barrel Barls?

Cheers,
Jase

I already posted about this on general brewing techniques prior to finding this thread.

I thought I would try a little sour experiment with a Kombucha SCOBY to see what happens. I made a 5l wort with pale malt extract and steeped pilsener grains.
After guidance from Milk the Funk, I intend to boil after 5 days and add hops and ferment with US05 as per normal ale.
Day 1
IMG_20180114_113250.jpg

IMG_20180114_113350.jpg

The bubbles on top is some of the starter.

Day 3
IMG_20180116_171359.jpg

Questions moving forward are:
1. How long should I ferment for?
2. How long should I bottle condition for?

Cheers Hambone

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_113350.jpg
    IMG_20180114_113350.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 89
im trying every day to love them... some brilliant lads in Toowooooomba make delicious sours.

I remember my first sour it was a can of Rodenbach. My mate bought it for me amongst a sampler of beers. I remember taking my first sip and it was a light bulb moment for me, Ohh my God this is the best beer ever, then I had Rodenbach Grand Cru, and then it it became the best beer ever.

Embrace the acid, live the funk.

I remember my first sour it was a can of Rodenbach. My mate bought it for me amongst a sampler of beers. I remember taking my first sip and it was a light bulb moment for me, Ohh my God this is the best beer ever, then I had Rodenbach Grand Cru, and then it it became the best beer ever.

Embrace the acid, live the funk.
I've never even tried a sour, yet here I am trying to make a sort of a one.

I've never even tried a sour, yet here I am trying to make a sort of a one.

That is a recipe for disaster, while the sour beer styles we have today evolved over time naturally it was mostly through trial & error. Stumbling into a sour with no plan is likely to end up with something nasty.

However sometimes you get lucky, my first sour was a Witbier flavoured with Hibiscus flowers the flowers had some kind of wild yeast on them and I got a secondary infection in the Witbier, it turned out magical. This bright red wheat beer with this lovely floral acidity.

Stumbling into a sour with no plan is likely to end up with something nasty.

Yep. That was my experience. I threw together 4 sours and got 2 rotten brews, 1 reasonable and the 4th has been in the fermenter for 3 months but not looking good.

But I now understand a lot more about sours than before. Maybe thats just the way I learn.

Back