Sour Beers - Why Don't I Get Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not alone mate. I had a sample of 5 different sours that were being tap in Brisbane. Everyone of them tasted like the worst grape of a bunch.

I've liked a few sours, but I just don't get lambics
They taste like a sweaty old gym sock and smell like rancid cheese
Morpeth Brewery's Berliner Weisse is a great example of a sour done well

Isn't this what makes beer, cheese and wine so great though! If we all liked the same thing life wouldn't be much fun. I'm not a fan of blue cheese, although it does work for me when combined with a Sauternes. Im also not a fan of merlot, just doesn't do it for me. Have fallen in love with sours though.

*spelling

yeah I dont dig em at all. I do like some manky saisons which can border on that , but the full on sour thing is just too far

I'm with mongey - saisons I like and enjoy, sours do nothing for me. It feels like sours are a massive fashion/trend in beer and I'm not going to say that people only drink them because they're trendy but I think as a result of them being fashionable, they're a bit more visible and obviously breweries are going to make what people are buying. I can't ever imagine taking the time to brew a sour, I've just no interest in them.

Oddly, I really like Haribo Tangfastics though.

h__89034_zoom.jpg

There's a huge variety of different funky and sour beers but they are not for everyone (and you may enjoy some but not others).

A good cantillon paired with the right blue cheese can be amazing.

Try a breton cider as an introduction to the funk, rodenbach grand cru and orval are also delicious without moving into sock territory. Orval is not remotely sour* - just the bottling yeast is similar strain to one found in most (all?) lambics.

*and neither is the cider but funk can be as complex or as offputting as sour.

I've only had a few and can't say I was that excited about them. Certainly not excited enough to brew one.

But, like all things, happy to be won over by the right beer.

Would you eat out a blue waffle? Infection is infection.

kunfaced said:
Would you eat out a blue waffle? Infection is infection.
Oh god, that brings back bad memories of when my mates used to link each other to shock sites when we were about 17 or 18
pain4.jpg anyone?

welly2 said:
I'm with mongey - saisons I like and enjoy, sours do nothing for me. It feels like sours are a massive fashion/trend in beer and I'm not going to say that people only drink them because they're trendy but I think as a result of them being fashionable, they're a bit more visible and obviously breweries are going to make what people are buying. I can't ever imagine taking the time to brew a sour, I've just no interest in them.
Impressive that Cantillon could predict in 1900 that sour beers were going to be fashionable in 2016.....

Sour beers done right are fantastic, sour beers made by breweries that can barely brew a pale ale are not. They aren't for everyone obviously, you can't judge a sour beer by the first sip though, give it a few sips, screw your face up, then decide what double ipa to have next!

I think you've got that arse about. Do cantillon brew a pale ale? ;)

Definitely need to go the gateway beers like Berlinner Weisse or those mixed with fruits. As said above try to source well made examples from established breweries or newer ones doing a good job (Batch in Sydney do some nice sour mash stuff with fruit, La Sirene in Melbourne is all pretty good).

Another thing to consider is your palate. I love sour beers but would also happily drink vinegar! If you have a sweet loving palate then you might need to pick another style?

Sours are something like an adventure for the holy grail. Admire the attempts etc.
$0.02

I've consumed a LOT of beers over the years & pretty-much enjoyed them all.

I once tried a Rodenbach Grand-Cru & my mind was made-up there & then that I don't like sour beers. It was absolutely awful to my palate. 'Couldn't even fathom how anyone could find that remotely pleasurable, even paired with certain foods.

I love Saisons & Lambics. Brett. is a lovely "back-ground" find in some beers. I make Kim-Chi on a regular basis & pickle my own onions. Fish & chips without salt & vinegar is boring.

Sour beer is something else completely.

0.02c

My mate drinks Grand-Cru as a traveler on the way home from work I don't get it

Oh....Rodenbach.
I love grand cru and I want to marry it, or ......at a least have a dirty little fling with it in a Flemish hotel room. Orval too. Orval can watch us or join in or take photos......its up to her.
These breweries have spent 100s of years getting this shit right and i love it.

Seriously, most local sours i do not dig. Token kettle soured jobbies or brett laced thingos with random fruit additions are almost always unbalanced. Its like a Dr Suess book: Too fruity, too funky, bad malty, goat spunky. But Grand Cru is juuuust right.

Had a nice sour example from Hop Dog in nowra a few months ago. Blew all other local sours ive had ever out of the water.

Latest posts

Back