Sounds good would love to try some

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably just the original recipe for VB back when it was a craft beer and before it became megaswill for the masses. Lol

Anyone who watched "Your Shout: The History of Australian Beer" on Foxtel on the weekend would have heard that 130 years ago the beer made here tasted completely shite! I'm not sure how "faithfully" the Thunder Road boys will really be re-creating it. But I'll be giving it a go, that's for sure.

The Thunder Road boys got me when I first saw their "Brunswick Bitter" coaster at my local pub...the slogan is "Brunswick...it's not Carlton".

Could it taste any worse than VB currently does? Maybe, but I'll bet that it's got more body & flavour.

"Mr Cox added: ''I've got an idea it will be an older style beer, with sweeter flavours; it has got a heavy use of hops. But it's really a case of make it and see.''

It better be brown, unfiltered and slightly carbed.... Oh, wait, that's the Yarra

I'd like to see the original recipe, and how it compares to their interpretation. Have they released that info anywhere?

Tried looking on their web site to see if I could order a bottle or two but couldn't find any mention of it.

Liam_snorkel said:
Could it taste any worse than VB currently does? Maybe, but I'll bet that it's got more body & flavour.

"Mr Cox added: ''I've got an idea it will be an older style beer, with sweeter flavours; it has got a heavy use of hops. But it's really a case of make it and see.''
Mr Cox (the brewer) looks at the recipe and doesn't know what style it is? WTF? Sounds like an IPA to me, which would make a shitload of sense.

what are the chances of getting the same kind of yeast?

What are the chances of this brewery coming up with a beer that isn't tied up in some hokey, old-timey gimmick?

Can't wait for them to uncover the lost plans for the original "Talking Bradman".

Any one who has had the privilege of drinking the original Richmond Lager back in the 60's would absoloutly kill for a clone of it. A better beer has never been produced, it was so good in fact that CUB bought them out just to get it off the market!

bum said:
What are the chances of this brewery coming up with a beer that isn't tied up in some hokey, old-timey gimmick?Can't wait for them to uncover the lost plans for the original "Talking Bradman".
Clearly you know nothing about Thunder Road Brewing.

Liam_snorkel said:

Mate drove me home on Friday from Sydney to Old Bar for a weekend pissup and brew up, and when we got to Buladelah it was beer o'clock so we ducked into the pub there for a six so I could have a couple in the car and torture the poor bloke till we got home. Fridge only had megapiss, not even any JS so I got a six of Victoria Bitter, the best cold beer. I disagree with Liam_snorkel. It's full of flavour.

Mercaptans, mouse cage droppings, eau-de-wheelie bin, with a solid backbone of Yarra in Springtime Flood. My throat rebelled at the first mouthful and it was frothing up the gullet as fast as it was going down, but after wrestling down that one I managed to suck my way through 3 bottles on the way home until I could get to my Bombardier Tap.

bum said:
What are the chances of this brewery coming up with a beer that isn't tied up in some hokey, old-timey gimmick?

Can't wait for them to uncover the lost plans for the original "Talking Bradman".
Maybe they have given up on their pursuit of CUB's old trademarks and have to find some other ye olde beer thing to do.

Unless this 130 year old recipe lists specifics such as malt specification, hop variety & AA% and yeast strain etc, all that Thunder Road can say is that the beer is a close approximation of a copy of a beer that possibly tasted like this which might have been made in Melbourne 130 years ago or was just some doodling on a page in a book by a bloke who used to work at the Carlton Brewery.

Of the few old beer recipes I've seen in some 100+ year old books, they are not very detailed or specific. In a few of them, the hop varieties are no longer available.

Wouldn't imagine the water would have been real clean back then. River water I would say with the detritus from the up stream inhabitants being included in the recipe. By using our water today the actual taste won't be able to be replicated. This would be a good thing I imagine. It would have been safer to drink beer than the water (Cholera). I reckon if it is not a bullshit recipe it's a great idea. Wouldn't mind a taste myself.

I agree with the gimmick statement above. Who would brew 4000 litres of beer before they knew how it would taste or look? That's just not plausible. Surely he has done a pilot brew by now.
I would be far more interested in this concept if he would release a bit more detail about the recipe or the method he is planning on using to recreate it. If this isn't for brewer's then who is it for?
I really don’t see the point of getting onto the front of the paper telling all and sundry how you are reviving the lost work of a pioneering Melbourne brewer, then not letting today’s Melbourne brewers in on any meaningful detail. Unless it is branding gimmick, which it certainly feels like to me.

In fairness, I would probably look more favourably on this if I liked the Thunder Road beers I have tried. I would give Goat the benefit of the doubt.

Polar Beer said:
I agree with the gimmick statement above. Who would brew 4000 litres of beer before they knew how it would taste or look? That's just not plausible. Surely he has done a pilot brew by now.
I would be far more interested in this concept if he would release a bit more detail about the recipe or the method he is planning on using to recreate it. If this isn't for brewer's then who is it for?
I really don’t see the point of getting onto the front of the paper telling all and sundry how you are reviving the lost work of a pioneering Melbourne brewer, then not letting today’s Melbourne brewers in on any meaningful detail. Unless it is branding gimmick, which it certainly feels like to me.

In fairness, I would probably look more favourably on this if I liked the Thunder Road beers I have tried. I would give Goat the benefit of the doubt.
They're mostly giving the beer away, and donating all sales of the small amount they are selling to charity - if I remember correctly... maybe they don't care what it looks or tastes like, although you'd imagine that being professional brewers, they'd have some sort of idea.

Am I completley missing the point with Thunder Road, or are they only about brands and gimmicks? And how do they keep getting their new releases profiled in The Age? I've drunk the Full Steam and the Brunswick and to be honest they are ordinary at best. I don't get it.

Collingwood "Draught"
http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/food-news/new-beer-takes-the-piss-out-of-carlton-20130404-2h9el.html

Rivarly brings out the best in us. A chestnut coloured lager with a malty aroma and subtle toasty sweetness . A dash of the finest hops gives this refreshing beer a superb clean finish. You will never forget this beer.
Draught ABV: 4.9%
IBU: 23

Probably shaggin the journalist - his metro hair do says it all.
Nothing wrong with attention grabbing gimmicks. I've accidentally stumbled upon a few really pleasant beers that deserve some publicity but unless you are in the "in crowd" like us, you'd never know they were out there. St Peters Blonde, Balmain Lager etc in Sydney.

Back