Sound deadening/proofing a vehicle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Who has used what to sound proof or deaden the sound in a car ?

I am looking to get the old ute to become a bit more quiet on the inside

I have just uses heavy thick hessian underlay up until now but I am over it. its to bulky

Been looking at some of these new stick on sound absorption mats that are fairly thin and can be molded

Basically trying to stop the cabin from drumming as it is all pretty much exposed metal

dynomat is what i used but its not cheap

Nice :)

I have just about* eliminated all the rattles and squeak's , so it is just body and road noise I need to control

The old girl is not to bad, but I dont want to dampen the sound of the SU under full power...does sound rather nice & raw :)

* still got an annoying squeak in one of the front suspension bushes but it comes and goes - and its cause i didnt put enough grease on the Nolathane bush's when I replaced them

I used stuff similar to this in my old landcruiser. Not exactly the same, but, whilst I had the engine bay cleared I stuck it all over the bay, reduced engine noise enormously, but, then the problem was noise through the transmission tunnel, so I added an extra $200 worth of deadening material there, then it was road noise!!! Could not win, sold the old girl and got a nice new AWD Territory, ah, the serenity.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Who has used what to sound proof or deaden the sound in a car ?

I am looking to get the old ute to become a bit more quiet on the outside
FTFY....Stu is going hobo wranglin' again !

fraser_john said:
I used stuff similar to this in my old landcruiser. Not exactly the same, but, whilst I had the engine bay cleared I stuck it all over the bay, reduced engine noise enormously, but, then the problem was noise through the transmission tunnel, so I added an extra $200 worth of deadening material there, then it was road noise!!! Could not win, sold the old girl and got a nice new AWD Territory, ah, the serenity.

And then spent thousands on torn diff bushes and lower control arms!

Danwood said:
FTFY....Stu is going hobo wranglin' again !
They got a name for that... call it a "Soup Kitchen."

The sound proofing isn't to deaden the homeless persons cries for help ?

Sorry Stu, just foolin'....please continue.

Also looking t the spray on stuff as well...dont know if it is as good as the stick on mat

check your door seals Stu - you can get someone to pass air around them with a air compressor or even a fine spray from the hose (maybe not ideal) while you sit inside. you can get taller seals or even put a second seal on like some luxury cars in days of old

also the wheel wells can let a lot of noise (road noise being tyres contacting the ground) in and a liberal slapping of herculiner or some such bitumen/rubber sound deadener

i gots ta do the back of me panelvan at some point - it's noisy as

Would the noises from the back of your panel van be coming from within by any chance ? ;)

Ok so dynamat etc work by adding mass and lowering the resonant frequencies than converting that energy into heat energy dissipated by the foil backing.
Now the mass add works. Does the foil backing wank work? I don't know. I'm not convinced.
I've dynamatted the shit out of my patrol and yet it's nicer but still got nothing on my wife's discovery 3

The roof is a huge source of noise as is any larg flat panel such as door skins.
Wheel arches and trans tunnels are better isolated with a barrier or blocking type treatment. Felt with bitumen layer is pretty good. Sand and lead even better.

Ultimately you need to work out what level your willing to accept as there's always going to be compromise. Even if you deaden every panel glass lets through heals of noise and old windscreen seals are shit. I used to chase a leak in the windscreen of the patrol that drives me bonkers. But I eventually worked out that every time I took the car off road (which is the only reason I have it. Because as a road going vehicle it's an absolute pig to drive) the seal would start leaking in a different position.

Tyre choice will have a huge impact on road noise and nolothane bushes are doing you no favours (personally I don't like nolothane bushes any way. Rubber all the way for my money. Nolothane will cause driveline vibrations. If you're using nolothane only use it in applications where only lateral loading is applied)
Good exhaust hanger rubbers and good rubber engine mounts also help. Obviously not the best choice for getting power to the ground. Then again if you're worried about how that forget the deadening and mount the engine with an engine plate and hope your filling won't rattle out your head.

Latest posts

Back