Sorry to open a new thread but I've developed a volcano

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robrock

Reaction score
I'm put in a coopers unreal ale recipe as in a can of real ale 1 pack brew enhancer 1 and 500 grams coopers (pack) malt ,I used kit yeast added 15 grams tea bagged ahtanum hops . It's at 19 deg and it's 24 hours in and at risk of snowing through air lock .. Is this ok or should I maybe cool it some or leave it go or any other ideas .. Thanks in advance for any input .. Cheers Rob

I would just let it go. How much head space did you have ? Might have just filled her up a little too high? Either that or you have a nice fresh packet of angry young yeast ready to kick ass and eat sugar!

Should be a good brew.

JJJ

just clean it if it does escape and keep plugging on man, yeast will do what yeast will do, short of fitting a blow off, there aint much else to do :lol:

Typical of coopers kits yeast, just clean it up as you go.

It's 23 litres in a standard 30 litre fermenter have done a few brews but this one so far the most visually entertaining .. Thanks for the replies

You should see what coopers yeast has done in a stout I've got going at the moment. Let's just say the ferment fridge is going to need a very through cleaning...

Like many brewers here I don't use the lid and airlock anymore, clingwrap usually handles any situation.

Well, nearly every situation. :p

RIS explosion.jpg

Got one myself. Plum mead. Mixed it up this morning, added the yeast, noticed I had a little too much for the demijohn but - not wanting to waste much of the must - I filled it up a leeeeeeeeetle too much. Okay, I filled it up *a lot* too much.

The yeast began doing its thing quickly, the available space filled up over the afternoon, and just an hour ago or so it burst its confines and came out of the airlock into the air. It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!

Advice already given is the way to proceed.

I've had a Dunkelweizen on a couple of occasions (yes I can can be a slow learner) crawl out of the fermenter onto the floor of a temperature controlled fridge onto the garage floor, leaving an 8 metre snake of wort attempting to crawl down to the driveway.

A good sized blowoff tube and bottle to capture the overflow is the answer, along with proper temperature control.

Bribie G said:
Like many brewers here I don't use the lid and airlock anymore, clingwrap usually handles any situation.

attachicon.gif
RIS explosion.jpg
I found my gasket ring popped off and the cling wrap levitating 15cm above the top of the fermeter once. I don't expect it's much better than an airlock but it's nice to see where the krausen level is to decide if there will be a problem (or if it's time to top crop)

And another BLURP. Just then. It's like hanging out with someone who doesn't talk, just vomits loudly and colourfully every few minutes to give you something to think about.

Bribie G said:

attachicon.gif
RIS explosion.jpg
Woah! Reminds me off a grob bog after a big night in Bali. She taste as good as she looks?

So cling wrap and a rubber ring ? Do I put a pin hole or something in it or just complete seal ? I will not change over now but wish to know for a future reference .. Cheers

warra48 said:
Advice already given is the way to proceed.

I've had a Dunkelweizen on a couple of occasions (yes I can can be a slow learner) crawl out of the fermenter onto the floor of a temperature controlled fridge onto the garage floor, leaving an 8 metre snake of wort attempting to crawl down to the driveway.

A good sized blowoff tube and bottle to capture the overflow is the answer, along with proper temperature control.
3068 warra? Had the same on a few occasions myself.

No need for a pin hole, CO2 molecules are unimaginably tiny and sneak around.

The ring, of course, is the one out of the lid.

Dont clean until fermentation has stopped. Then transfer to a clean tank. Either you put to much in the fermenter or just very happy yeast. As long as pressure is going out you won't have a problem. Very common.

Cecil Brai said:
Dont clean until fermentation has stopped. Then transfer to a clean tank. Either you put to much in the fermenter or just very happy yeast. As long as pressure is going out you won't have a problem. Very common.
No need to transfer, just increases cleaning and risk of contamination.

Back