Sorry, But Ag Hoegaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
I know, it's been done to death!
Sorry. From now on i'll refer to the beer as H.

I have a plan, and i hope the pope and certain monks aren't keeping an eye on this forum.

I want to do an AG H brew this weekend.
I've got a smackpack of Belgian Wit.
But, (sorry monks and pope) I want to change the recipe!
It's too thin! and I don't want as much wheat, it's like a tart apple, i want some malty sweetness like some other belgian beers. Like a Leffe cross H.
I've still got a sh!tload of marris otter, the yeast (and a belgian abbey on hand), 1kg wheat(malted), about 20kg raw wheat, and 20kg malting barley (schooner unmalted) and a heap of different crystal malts in my reserves. (as well as dried mandarin peel and corander seed)

Can i get away with an AG H inspired version with Marris and some adjuncts considering the changes I'd like to make? (sorry nuns) And I'd rather not use any sugar (sorry cane farmers, sorry QLD)

:blink:

Tough beer to make. Many years of formulation has gone into that beer
MO should be fine around 50% malted wheat 20% and unmalted wheat 30%. I suspect that the unmalted wheat will make your beer very "clear". Ferment warm around 23

Thanks
as i said, inspiration by H

add:
I'm still shy about using even that much wheat.
i had a hefeweizen yesterday, and it was terrible
i think i need to add a sniff of unmalted wheat to avoid protein glue and a maybe 1kg malted wheat to give it the floral lightness without too much dry white bread?

and another point, can i swap hallertau for hersbrucker in such a lightly hopped brew and get away with it ?

Latest posts

Back