Sorachi Ace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Sorachi Ace Hops are the product of mixing Brewer's Gold with Saaz. Developed to be used in Sapporo beers, Sorachi Ace Hops have a great citrus taste that leans toward the lemon flavor.

Typical Alpha Acid: 10.2 – 12.9%

Sorachi Ace Hops are usually used as a bittering hop, but with it's great citrus lemon flavor and aroma American style IPAs are using them as flavor hops and even dry hopping with them. Beer styles where a lemon taste would be desired, as in Saisons or summer ales. Sorachi Ace Hops are also used in low quantities in some lagers. A perfect hop for wheat beers where a lemon or orange would be added as a garnish.

Profile of Sorachi Ace Hops:
Sorachi Ace Hops genus: Humulus
Sorachi Ace Hops species: lupulus
Sorachi Ace Hops MATURITY: midseason
Sorachi Ace Hops LEAF COLOR: dark green
Sorachi Ace Hops DISEASES: Downy mildew: resistant (also resistant to botrytis)
COHUMULONE: 23%Pedigree

Cross between Brewer's Gold, Saazer - OP and Beikei No. 2 male

Brewing Usage
Dual Purpose

Aroma
Unique lemon and dill characteristics

Typical Beer Styles
  • Pale Ale

Additional Information

Developed in 1984 for Supporo Brewers Ltd.

MOD: Post edited by Lord Raja Goomba I, to insert description. Original Post below:

hmmmmm.. leaning towards getting some of these in.. descriptors sound interesting and while Ive heard of this hop, Ive little to no experience with them.

http://www.sorachiacehops.com/

sound very interesting indeed.

It'll depend on the price - they are a polarising hop.

Great in a Rager, but not something you'd use in much else IMO. I like a good Japanese (actually Japanese) beer on a hot day.

Lemony with a little spice.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
It'll depend on the price - they are a polarising hop.

Great in a Rager, but not something you'd use in much else IMO. I like a good Japanese (actually Japanese) beer on a hot day.

Lemony with a little spice.
does the lemon work well with citrus-flavoured hops? i've only seen sorachi ace in the latter end of the boil for the few recipes with it. i'd probably try some for some experiment brews if it played with cascade or amarillo or something?

To the best of my knowledge, I've only had them in a Kolsch by a local brewery. Really did not like.

Would not bang.

4 Pines did a Keller Door sorachi ace pale ale, a while ago. It was excellent, very lemony. It is one of the few beers hopped with sorachi ace, other than Golden Ace that I have enjoyed.

If you want to try this hop in a well made beer, try Feral Golden Ace. Works well with the Belgain yeast.

fletcher said:
does the lemon work well with citrus-flavoured hops? i've only seen sorachi ace in the latter end of the boil for the few recipes with it. i'd probably try some for some experiment brews if it played with cascade or amarillo or something?
I read (though I can't find where) that it isn't a great late boiler. I think it's a 'gently gently' hop - even more so than Nelson Sauvin.

Again, what I've read, no sources reliable found, bla bla bla.

pressure_tested said:
I get dead ant flavours from it. Not a fan
Haha my mate said the same thing when we shared a Brewdog Sorachi Ace single hop IPA

The Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace saison was awesome imo (wife liked it too) definately got lemon flavours from that one.
I didn't know Feral Golden Ace used SA too (makes sense now that I think about the name) also like that beer.
So yeah I've liked it in the 4 (also had the Mikeller IPA) beers I've had it in, but as said it's probably like it or hate it deal.

I'm going to brew a saison with SA when it heats up a bit.

I cloned the Broooklyn Sorachi Ace Saison and was pretty happy with the result. I also used SA in a single hop summer ale....got lots of coconut there!

Latest posts

Back