Somthing Crisp And Dry.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im looking to make a nice Crisp dry lager to quench my thirst over summer. Not looking to make a clone but somthing along the Becks line would be good. Looking to make a partial any help more than welcome.

Thanks guys

Rob

Hey guys. Im looking to make a nice Crisp dry lager to quench my thirst over summer. Not looking to make a clone but somthing along the Becks line would be good. Looking to make a partial any help more than welcome.

Thanks guys

Rob

I think you'll be struggling with a partial. It has been said many times that you cannot make sucessfull lagers with extract. I can't vouch for that except in my experience I have not made one successfully and heard this story from quite a few other brewers. Crisp lager: 100% pils malt, hops, yeast, ultra clean water (at least 50% RO) and super tight temperature control from beginning to end.

Steve

How much grain can you mash in your partial?

Option 1:
Find a highly rated AG recipe and replace whatever portion you need to of grain with extract. Full volume boil best, calculate changes if you can't.

Option 2:
A bit more theoretical than I would like to be - If you use a good quality pale malt (grain) and a good quality pale malt (extract - something like weyerman pilsner for both - CB stock weyermann extract), maybe a dose of sugar, a quality fresh lager yeast (people speak highly of the wyeast danish - not used it myself), some hallertauh and/or saaz in 2 or 3 simple additions to around 30 IBU and ferment cool and long then lager for 2+ weeks, , I reckon you'll get as close as you are aiming for.

Mash the grain very low - say 62 degrees.

Even if you go option 1, I would still aim for quality pale extract and mash your grain low

Won't be perfect but it will be a thirst quencher.

To be honest, I reckon my lagers from all grain are my weakest beers - it's a pretty blank canvas but I can happily slam them down on a hot day and happily offer them to friends for the same purpose. Been a while since I made an extract anything but if I were in your shoes, that is what I would try.

No first-hand knowledge of using extract for a pilsner, but a brewing friend in the States has had pretty good results doing pilsners with the Briess Pilsen Light DME. They taste good at least :D Listen to someone with first-hand knowledge if they pop up though. Nothing beats the advice you get on here from first-handers.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Think I'm going to try my hand at one of the recipes from the AHB database. The 'Summer Days Kolsch ' never made a Kolsch before so ill see how it goes.
Thanks again
Rob

You will make one again after you brew this one!

Thanks Wolfman, looking forward to putting this one down. Going to try and get all the bits ASAP so it might be ready for samples at xmas.
Rob

You are aware that lagers require fermentation at a lower temperature & a lagering stage. Do you have a dedicated fridge to do this?

I certainly do mate. Have just emptied of a Helles Munich that I had conditioning for the last month. The white labs yeast used for this Kolsch ferments at about 20 c. Just have to find some in Melbourne somewhere.
Cheers rob

I kegged and had an early taste of this partial I did to get rid of an old tin of Cooper Euro Lager:

1.7kg Coopers Euro Lager Liquid Malt Extract
1.3kg Pilsner
400g Munich I
175g Carapils (Dextrine)

15g Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
20g Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 90Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 10C with Saflager W-34/70 plus kit yeast

Early tastes suggest this will be an easy drinker now the weather is warming up but not as crisp and dry as I would have liked.

Latest posts

Back