Something's in my blow off bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevan

Reaction score
I've got some what looks like green mould growing of the tube in the water. The bottle has had perc to clean it and then star sans. The water was cooled boiled water. The tube had the same treatment as the bottle. Nothing seems to be growing in the better bottler that's fermenting a saison with Brett Lambric. The question is what to do with it? I've squirted some star sans in and swirled it. It is worth changing the bottle and giving the tube a scrub on the outside? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484453380.153121.jpg
The bubbles are from the star sans, the blurry dark bit (that's not in focus) is the growing stuff. What to do?!

RDWHAHB.

There's no way that could make its way back into your current brew, so just let it go. Clean the whole lot once the ferment is finished & have a re-think about how it happened in the first place.

Agree

However you may as well just put star san in the bottle rather than water.

I think the perc would have made the starsan ineffective, so essentially you have water with high mineral content, including some minerals that can be metabolised by fungi and bacteria.

I'd say dump the liquid, wipe the tube with an alcohol wipe and get a new bottle with starsan into place. If your fermentation profile will require you to drop the temperature at any stage, make sure you remove this tube so that the filth doesn't get sucked back into the fermenter as the beer cools.

I should clarify that the bottle was soaked with perc then rinsed with water. Then put star sans in to sterilise and cooled boiled water went in by itself. The same happened with the hose, though it looks like I didn't pay enough attention to the outside of it. I gather from the comments that it's a more common practice to put a star sans mix in instead of straight water?

Also this is a blow off for a saison Brett lambric that I'm aging for 3-6 months and been there only two weeks

Suck-back may be rare with some setups, but if I had that growing in my bottle I wouldn't be happy with weak no-rinse sanitizers to deal with it. It would all get bleached into oblivion. Then rinsed thoroughly and re-filled with starsan.

Back