Something For The Biab'ers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few folks on AHB who have built similar rigs themselves.

4500W element must be nice to bring up to the boil nice and quick, but who the hell has a 30a PowerPoint in their home? Assuming you'd need a sparky to wire this in like an oven.

Go a similar system myself ... With a brown pump and a Birko urn. Perchance I should upgrade the pump. :ph34r:

Got a similar system too only gas powered with brown pump and speed/flow controller. The problem with the temp sensor in the top is that it will actually be about 4 deg cooler in the mash and 2-3 deg hotter in the wort outside the bag still in the pot I have found out with having multiple thermometers.

I just seen the video and asking price, you got a great deal. :D Check out this thread for an option on the pumps middle ground of the brown and march.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...670&hl=Pump

I'm really happy with my brown pump it's small light weight and 12v so no worries about a little splash. Could not have to much more flow rate as it fills the bag faster than it can drain back in the pot hence the flow/speed controller.

$1095?? **** that.

Check the link in my signature for a rig that is designed in the same way as that for a third of the price.
Actually, the rig in the link is V1.0 - i'm onto V2.0 now. Even simpler, even better than the first. Need to do a new video.

The only difference between mine and his rig, is his is PID controlled whereas mine is using an STC1000.

Single Vessel Recirculating BIAB..

out a ball valve, into the pump, back in through the lid with the temp probe monitoring the return temp and all being controlled by the stc.

Simple, small footprint, cheap to make, kick ass beer is the result.

the yanks sure do seem to go overboard sometimes don't they. must be that easy access to heaps of brew gear they have

Yeah, good price. I'm planning on breaking it in on Friday!!

Does the compressor delay on the STC have any negative impacts? Just out of interest?

Yeah, good price. I'm planning on breaking it in on Friday!!

Does the compressor delay on the STC have any negative impacts? Just out of interest?

The compressor delay is only when the cooling cycle on STC is started. Not when heating cycle started.

Goid

haha, did anyone watch the video? he struggles a bit getting the bag out :lol:

haha yep he sure did. Would of thought they could have lift/rest lugs for the lift and drain like the BM for that price>>>

thought he was going to have a second crack at the bag.....

He also might find his efficiency will be well above 60% if he filled the bloody pot up :eek:

Got a similar system too only gas powered with brown pump and speed/flow controller. The problem with the temp sensor in the top is that it will actually be about 4 deg cooler in the mash and 2-3 deg hotter in the wort outside the bag still in the pot I have found out with having multiple thermometers.

Are you sure about this statement, and have you calibrated each thermometer to read the same at mash temps? I would have thought that a circulating wort would always remain the same temp throughout. Otherwise, what's the point of doing BIAB recirculation? I wouldn't expect a 4 degree shift in a non-insulated tun over 3 hours, so it's unusual that you would observe such variation between different parts of the mash. If the wort were non-circulating, and heat was being periodically triggered without stirring, I would say there might be such a margin, or higher.

Anyone else who does BIAB recirculation suffer from what Nathan is suggesting?

Are you sure about this statement, and have you calibrated each thermometer to read the same at mash temps? I would have thought that a circulating wort would always remain the same temp throughout. Otherwise, what's the point of doing BIAB recirculation? I wouldn't expect a 4 degree shift in a non-insulated tun over 3 hours, so it's unusual that you would observe such variation between different parts of the mash. If the wort were non-circulating, and heat was being periodically triggered without stirring, I would say there might be such a margin, or higher.

Anyone else who does BIAB recirculation suffer from what Nathan is suggesting?

Definitely sure tested all 3 thermometers at 0deg, 30deg, 50deg, 80deg and 100deg and all 3 are exactly the same after trimming the length of some of the probe (wires less length = less resistance).

It is not loss of heat. All temps at the same time were out that much. If you mix the mash lots it comes up that 4deg and then sits there fine. The 2 deg in the wort outside the bag is hotter because I keep my flame on really low so that I don't have to light it for every step up. With the flame on low while it is resting I can hold the temp perfectly with out dropping for over 2 hours.

So why are you recirculating? ie; for what purpose, if stirring will achieve an even temperature.

Please consider these genuine questions, not a challenge. I have thought long and hard for about a year on single vessel designs, and consider, in theory, that recirculation would serve a purpose in maintaining median temps, and if the temp dips below the desired range, that would trigger a gas solenoid to refire the burner automatically.

I might rig something up on the weekend to test this, with spent grain. Your results are intruiging.

I want the magic levitation device they used for the photo. :eek: Screw racks!!!

I thought everyone was using a levitating pot these days? Get with the times, man. Gravity defiance is the new Amarillo

So why are you recirculating? ie; for what purpose, if stirring will achieve an even temperature.

Please consider these genuine questions, not a challenge. I have thought long and hard for about a year on single vessel designs, and consider, in theory, that recirculation would serve a purpose in maintaining median temps, and if the temp dips below the desired range, that would trigger a gas solenoid to refire the burner automatically.

I might rig something up on the weekend to test this, with spent grain. Your results are intruiging.

The main reason was so that I can walk away from the mash while in it's rests to do other things. On the plus side I went from average 78% efficiency to the low to mid 90%. I have only done 2 brews with the recirculation system and they were 90.3% and 94.2%.

If you are going to do step mashing you really need to stir the mash all the time during rises (4 min).

Back